Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bent footrests

So I'm looking at my very bent footrests and wondering what they should look like.
I'm including a photo from 2 views. Am I correct in assuming that the footrest should
be parallel to the hole that the spindle goes thru? Both front to back and up & down?
If not parallel, a good photo would be nice.
Next, what's my best bet in straightening them out? Applying heat, and bending?
I assume so, but just wanted to know if there's something else I should know.
Thanks.
footrest1
Photobucket

email (option): siradrad@verizon.net

Re: bent footrests

Damon Dardaris
So I'm looking at my very bent footrests and wondering should
be parallel to the hole that the spindle goes thru? Both front to back and up & down?

Yes Damon, It should be parallel.

I straighten few pairs by closing it firmly in a very big vice which are attached to a heavy anchored steel base,
Putting the other side (Usually the footrest foot part, the one without the hole) into a long pipe,
about 2"-2.5” dia, 3 foot long,(at least..) and bring it back to shape.
I did not apply any heat, and it did not break.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

They are steel and therefore should bend back cold as they bent in the first place. Although I find it a lot easier with heat and less likely to fracture.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I've straightened lots cold & never had problems, but as far as getting the right shape back in that sweeping curve there's a specific advantage gained from applying heat in that you can control exactly where it bends.
so start your cold straightening in small increments & observe how its behaving/where its bending .... if its bending in the wrong place consider heating it where you want it to bend more ;-)

Another advantage of heat is its easier on a footrest that may have been bent & straightened many many times after all its entirely plausible after 70yrs.

I prefer the 'hot' method for the reasons outlined by Fred..Without knowing the make up of the steel used it's also probably wise to let them cool naturally after heating rather than using water..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1