Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teledraulic Forks Pics (Matchless G3L)

Hi all, problems after problems, finally after a months struggle I fixed my front forks but no proper action and I know why. The forks were not complete when I bought and I had to use my ideas (Wrong Ones) to fix this. Has anyone clicked pics during a rebuild of forks? I saw the manuals but then they look very complicated for an old man like me. Please post some pics that will help me to rebuild the forks again. Thank you

J.M

email (option): johnmatthew04@gmail.com

Re: Teledraulic Forks Pics (Matchless G3L)

I didn't take pictures. But I remember that I warmed up the top of the bottom ally fork tubes to remove the bushes with a blow lamp. The Bakelite bushes swelled up enough to seize them on the staunchions. making it difficult to use the staunchions as a slide hammer to remove the bushes. Once out though I used a flap wheel to bring them to a nice sliding fit on the staunchions before replacing them. I was amazed at how durable those Bakelite bushes are. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I took the kettle in the workshop and heated the forks with boiling water .And managed fine to remove the old bush .That was the easy bit getting them back together well that was something else.Can do it now with my eyes shut.Someone on this forum will tell you the thread but you need a long bolt the same thread as the plugs in the top of the forks so you can pull the legs back up the tubes.good luck.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Thanks Ron, Thanks Stephen, I am able to take the forks out, but I think I am missing a few parts of the fork, for example the 40-C12M-FF191 and 40-C12M-FF186 and the small spring that come at the bottom. So one pic of it would really be very very helpful to me.

J.M

I wonder if this will help? It's post war, but I don't think there is much difference. It might be a bit easier to follow than the manual. Have you spoken to Steve Surbey for parts? Ron

http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Suspension/Fork_overhaul__Motor_Cycle_July_1966.pdf

Thanks Ron, from page 4 in this manual, I assume that this for a 1942 G3L and there is only one spring in each of the fork legs? However in page 2 there are 2 sets of springs. This was my primary cause of concern. Please advise.

J.M

John if you mean the short spring that is sometimes shown in addition to the main spring? Then I think that is a post war addition as some sort of rebound or helper spring. Although I have seen them on a war time bike. But probably a post war improvement. Of course they might have adopted them late war? But no need for you to worry about them.
On the other hand! You can not run without bottom bushes 40-G12M-FF191
I'm sure you will also need the caps FF186. for the top yolk.

Phone Steve!

Ron

Thanks so much Ron, I will fix this and update you.

JM

Nieuwe pagina 1