Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drive side shim

That shim 66-661 I have on the drive side shaft is not in pristine condition: scratched, slightly dished. Is it a critical part, or can I make one myself: ID 1", OD 1 9/16", thickness approx. .6mm.
Thanks!
Hans

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Re: Drive side shim

I've made them before Hans...I cut them from sheet steel and dimensionally just copied the original to a reasonable tolerance...Ian

email (option): Ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, but what is its function? A shim usually has to correct spacing between parts, but I understand that the thickness in this case is not critical

Hans
There some NOS ones on UK fleabay at the moment,
The sellers name is flyingdogboy , they are £2.50 each

Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Hans its just there to help stop the oil leaking out through the main bearings. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Hans

If you have the engine stripped that far why not drop a sealed bearing in there and forget the shim and oil leaks? Cost about €8-€10

65-2045, 25 X 52 X 15mm, 6205RSC3

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p6305/SKF+62052RSHC3+Sealed+Deep+Groove+Ball+Bearing+25x52x15mm/product_info.html

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Hi Hans..The thickness of the spacer is not highly critical (like the bore/cylinder clearance.) However, if I make one I aim to find some material of the same thickness, which I have done previously.
If you went .010" either way it wouldn't matter much in practical terms...
If you omit the shim all together you will affect primary chain alignment by that amount as the crankshaft sleeve normally sits against the shim..or the main bearing if the shim is left out...Ian

email (option): Ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks all, that's very enlightening! I already got that metric bearing in, with the sealing, so finally no problem at all. But that .6mm offset of the primary chain certainly will give me nightmares , so I'll mount that shim anyhow, especially since I got one for free

Hi Hans
Not sure if I a reading your post correctly but it sounds like you already have the sealed ball bearing in place in the case. The shim you are wanting to install fits into a recess in the case behind that bearing so to fit it you will have to remove at least the ball bearing and maybe the roller outer race if you have also installed that. As the only real function of the shim is to control the oil passing through the normally open bearing I would consider leaving it out and just using the cush drive bearing alignment washers 66-1707 and 66-1708 to get your chain alignment correct. These fit through the outer hole in the case and rest against the inner bearing race.

Cheers
Pete

Photobucket

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Nieuwe pagina 1