The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton big 4 for sale on Australian ebay

Norton big 4 (with side car and reverse gear) for sale on Aust ebay
item 110994314893.
It will be interesting what the final bid will be.

cheers Dave J.

email (option): jamfam@dragnet.com.au

Re: Norton big 4 for sale on Australian ebay

It's had quite a hard life by the look of it. He seems to have a 16H in the background too. Does anyone know the seller ?

No reverse gear there! wish it had!!

Saw this same bike yesterday on here:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cairns-4870/motorcycles/1940big-4-desert-norton/1011530284

12500 euro's, transport will cost at least 2000, so too much for me, and what would I do with a third one?

But they keep coming out of the woodwork, seller claims only 12 survivors, but am almost up to 50 now! still that's only a little over 1% of the total ever built.

Cheers and a Happy New Year,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

1%..?...Better start panicking...we might be down to the last 12,500 M20s.. ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
1%..?...Better start panicking...we might be down to the last 12,500 M20s.. ....Ian

Ian, my math isn't great but wouldn't 12,500 be 10%?

Happy new year

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Your quite right Rob...In that case I can only conclude far more than 1% of M20s have survived and there is no real need to panic... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It has always seemed to me that far more Matchlesses and BSA's have survived and I have always put this down to the fact that they were kept by the army into the 1960's. there seem to be very few Norton 16h,s about and this was certainly the case at 65X65. I guess these were sold off much earlier and bought by civi,s who then ran them into the ground before disposing of the. I'm open to any other explanation. JT

Having just found you web and comments of the Big4 on Australian for sale site. After your comment of "they just keep coming out of the woodwork", you are so right. I have just pull one out so to speak. Pulled out of a shed in central New South Wales, Australia, after being used on the farm for years. It's now in my shed minus the Army "box" but with a commercial box.Drive parts missing and other bits to locate. At the farm we put petrol in the tank, pumped up the rear tyre and after a few kicks she fired up. Now for the restoratiion to begin.If you know of other Big 4 owners in Australia could someone please pass this on to them.
Regards
George Brennan. Maitland NSW,Australia

email (option): george_brennan@bigpond.com

George, It's always nice to hear of a new find. Don't forget to post some photos !

A substantial proportion of the SWD Big 4s were supplied with commercial boxes, both standard and the larger 'AA' (Automobile Association) type. These were supplied to both the War Office (Army) and Air Ministry (RAF)

I have copies of most of the surviving contract records. If you let me know your frame number, I might be able to pin down the type of body originally fitted. Please don't throw the box on the bonfire yet though !

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

G'day George.
l know a fellow here in Melbourne with a post war civi big four if that helps.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Thanks Matty, You never know what some people have until you ask. It's mainly sidecar drive bits and springs that I am chasing and also a back sub frame that carries a pillion seat. You have my email, feel free to contact me.Rgds gb

Thanks Rik, will get the numbers to you. I would say it had a seated chair becuase I have the rear curl springs( one main leaf broken)Rgds. George

George,

I have 4 Big 4's listed in Australia, and 2 in NZ. contact me offlist for details.

Would be pleased to add your numbers to the list! frame & engine, sidecar, frontfork number, under the petrol tank number, there are more, but that means dissasembling things.

Welcome to the slowly growing B4 club!!

Cheers,

Lex

Hi George.
I've sent the guy I know an email with your email address, not sure if he'll have a bead on sidecar drive bits but who knows?
His name is John.

Good luck.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Ron here can have excellent sidecardrive parts made, very nice stuff!!

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks Lex, Nice job on the drive componets. Have you any idea of how much the cost is. I have two options, find old parts or get new ones made.

I'd need to know exactly what parts you need George. For instance the last dog clutch's I had made where about £330, Spined shaft £100 etc. But that was for a small batch. My engineer is on 2 weeks holiday so can't get prices for a while. I think you'd be very lucky to find old parts Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron, Gee you blokes are quick to reply, I only places my reply this morning. Ron I'll send you an email regarding your reply post. Rgds George Also does anyone out there have a seat subframe for sale for a WWM Norton big 4 outfit. It supports the rider and pillion seat. Rgds George

Hi Norton big four outfit owners. Add me to the list I have 2 of them I've got one going and have riden it in the bay to birdwood a couple of times and won the show and shine cobwebs and all at the 2010 toy run Adelaide to hahndorf. It has all 3 matching no.s The other ones a bitsa bit nearly running. Looking for a kick stater, gear lever and generators. Great to hear theres a few more getting around.

Ill round the frame no.s up one of them has a brass contract plate on them
I bought them off frank mcmanaras grandson from beachport sa.

Cheers
Darre

email (option): wintsoz@yahoo.com.au

hi how much are these side car driven part?.

email (option): nmautoexports@hotmail.com

Neeraj, all info is above!! please let me have your numbers too!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

Dare
Hi Norton big four outfit owners. Add me to the list I have 2 of them I've got one going and have riden it in the bay to birdwood a couple of times and won the show and shine cobwebs and all at the 2010 toy run Adelaide to hahndorf. It has all 3 matching no.s The other ones a bitsa bit nearly running. Looking for a kick stater, gear lever and generators. Great to hear theres a few more getting around.

Ill round the frame no.s up one of them has a brass contract plate on them
I bought them off frank mcmanaras grandson from beachport sa.

Cheers
Darre

Hi Darre,

Good to know another 2 have survived!! please post or email me the numbers, a pattern will start appearing with all the numbers coming in, seems bikes from one contract C7576 all went south!

Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike(at)welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1