Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
jones' van

hi mick did you see how much jones' van made today off dads army? it makes you matchless worth a bob or two it also stared in dads army.
cheers michael

email (option): michael.rutland@homail.co.uk

Re: jones' van

How much did it go for Michael? I saw a while back that it was going to be up for auction, but didn't hear any more after that. Was Mick Matchless really in Dads Army?

hi bill the van went for 62K and yes mick holmes' bike was in the dads army episode with wilson on it and if he come on to the forum he will tell you the same.
cheers michael

£62,000!! That's a fair old chunk of cash.

When looking for the Butchers van on the internet I saw that Clive Dunn died a few days agao.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20239694

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

£62,000 That is a lot of money.I seem to remember he drilled holes in the sides and roof as well to stick thier bayonets through!

Hi Guys, I'm back,
Yes, the G3L I have was used in the episode "The Honourable man".
All the riding shots were actually done by my friend Phil Basey, who owned and subsequently sold it to me. When I diplayed it at one of the Dads Army days a few years ago Ian Lavender told me he had been trying for years to buy it as he was allowed to ride it on the day and really enjoyed it.
But the history I have for it is much more in depth, as I know its history from 1943, when it was issued to Phil whilst in Ireland, training for the invasion. It went over on D+3 in the back of a Bedford lorry, and he rode it right through to 1945 when he was injured by a land mine. I could go on!
Chees, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Blimey Mick, that's an historic bike! To have seen all that history and be imotalised on screen too, thats a unique bike.

I know the episode it's in, it's the one where they are going to make the presentation to the Russian visitor and Wilson keeps crashing the Matchless into ditches! I seem to remember an episode where they were messing about with their version of the Panjandrum and I think there was a G3L on that too, is that the same bike?

Hey Bill,
Yes I feel very privilaged to be looking after Phils bike. He is still alive and well and still pops round to check I'm taking care of it. Its also my sons favorite bike, and the only one he wants to keep. That other bike is an AJS, either a post war one painted green or an earlier one with teles fitted.
Cheers, Mick.

I know its been said before, but this just goes to demonstrate that we don't actually own these bikes at all, we are just the temporary custodians. The history goes on and one day your lad will be responsible for looking after it and adding to its story.

I hate to bring it up, but after Jones Van going for £62,000, it does raise the question of money? I wonder if the bike ever came onto the market, which story would add more to the bikes market value? Would it be its wartime exploits or the fact that it once had John Le Mesurier sat on it?

I've just noticed that the Dads Army episode 'The Honourable Man' featuring this famous Matchless is on BBC2 tonight at 8pm.

£62,000?...Don't panic! Don't panic!... .There'll be an extra sausage in this for someone..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Matchless

Is this the one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKKCaqM3Fc

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Matchless

Hi Henri,
Yes, thats my bike, and thats Phil riding it.
He is 90 this year and has just finished restoring a Velocette.
He's now looking for a 3HW to play with.
Here she is now-
 photo France06033_zpsb5e41e4d.jpg
Cheers, Mick.

Ed Abbott has a 3HW complete bike project. I saw it yesterday. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

hi mick have you moved or have you just had you house stone claderd hope you enjoyed your musscles and thanks for the loan of your book must get together soon even have a ride out somewhere on the bikes
cheers michael

Nieuwe pagina 1