Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bigend rollers.

Just wondering if anyone here has a source of 2 thou over 1/4 x1/4 inch bigend rollers for an AJS V twin please. It's holding up completion.I believe there is one source but they want 4 pounds each!! I need about 60!

Re: bigend rollers.

Try an old style Harley shop, one that sells & repairs motorcycles, not guns, knives, shirts, tankards & sunnies.
The older HD's used the same size rollers & they made them in 4 or 5 oversizes to allow for wear in the big ends.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

THe maximum oversize available for a while is 0.001" oversize, they did used to make a 0.002" but I think you'd be hard pressed to find them these days. Be very careful of the old stock ones, they do tend to show marks from storage so if you find some insist that they are opened and checked.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thanks, it now turns out he only needs 1 thou over. Hope it makes it slightly easier.Harley and Indian ones are longer in length than diameter.

I managed to get some correct size aftermarket harley rollers in .0006 and .001 oversize from an ebay contact. I believe they should be a particular brinell or rockwell hardness, and I was unable to find out the specs on what I purchased. I went to a lot of trouble to refurbish a couple of bigend bearings with great help from Dave P. very pleasing results, except, hmmm, how long will they last

email (option): keithatkinson

If they are new rollers they are a lot harder than the NOS ones They are usually made from aerospace quality 52100 steel. They are usually all of a very good quality, I've never fitted a duff bearing in a Harley apart from the INA cam bearings, but that was Harleys mistake not mine! So I now fit Torringtons on that application as Harley now do too. The old Harley bearings had a slightly rounded end, the newer ones have a flatter end so you could use this to see if they are the newer or older bearings

AFAIK there is no H-D roller bearing in that size. The closest one is .250" OD × .270" long, #9301.

email (option): sales@victorylibrary.com

They are used on Harleys from 1936 to 1954 on the Right hand (pinion shaft) main bearing, they are 0.600" long, this replaces the 2 piece bearing as is normally fitted.

Nieuwe pagina 1