Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wiring loom style and lengths

Hi all,

I have come accross a firm who are willing to overbraid a wiring loom for me with the cotton braiding as they supply the standard overbraided wire anyway.

Would anyone have or be able to sketch a loom with lengths on it, as they have said that they could overwrap it if I sent it back to them built up and my bike is nowhere near that stage yet.

It would save me getting to that point, then having to wait for them to re cover it. It sounds like a really good job that they do too, and they supply the little rubber bands in different colours so that should make it look good also.

If I can get a drawing ( or sample loom ) sorted, would anyone else be interested in coming along for the ride?

If so, let me have your details and I will get back to you if I get a drawing with an idea of cost.

Regards
Darren, Wigan

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Re: Wiring loom style and lengths

there is a wiring diagram on the web site under tecnical information i am not sure but i dont think the M20 wiring was braided it was just in a rubber tube there has been talk about using a small bicycle inner tube as an alternative

I think Roger is correct, my WD M20 had loose all black rubber covered wires in rubber tubing up to the headlamp panel clamp. Make the loom to your bike using rubber covered wire and small shrink tube coloured collets for each end of the wire. Collets can be made from small dia coloured shrink tube brought in lengths and cut to size, use green for the F terminal on the regulator and yellow for the D on the regulator, same on the dyno end, use red for the live etc.This looks good and is so easy to make.
Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Thanks Roger and Tim

That makes things a lot easier for me!

Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

can you still get hold of rubber covered wire?

I've seen in the Optical section of this site a contact for wire that is overbraided, but my original loom appear to be original and was all black rubber covered wires with the rubber colour ID rings at the end of each one, all the wires came together via a short rubber sleeve, similar to the size of a bicycle inner tube (700C).
I need to make my loom from fresh and looking at all the looms on the net, they are all modern coloured wires which would look a little out of place, if anyone knows if I can get rubber coated wire then that would be of interest.

Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

I have bought wire from ebay and it looks great, it looks just like the original rubber wire.

ebay number 190767829025

There is also a guy on ebay selling heat shrink tube in 11 different colours which are very nice to use as colour sleeve. You can find an example on this page of the website http://wdbsa.nl/wd-wiring.htm

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hypalon insulation in black is the go, if you can get it, its super soft, impervious to almost anything and the copper core is usually tin plated, top end stuff, unfortunately its being phased out and replaced with silicone-rubber, which makers claim is just as good, but I am not so sure, for our purpose.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Thanks Henk, just brought this cable and it is absolutely spot on with the 4mm core, Fits inside my inner tube sleeve to bond all together beautifully( required a bit of talc to get it all to slide through with ease..

Julian

Hi all

Has anyone got a photo of an original wire harness laid out on a floor or being fitted to a bike in restoration ?

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Will get one for you tomorrow John.

Julian, how much cable did you buy to make up your harness. My WM20 has a new, modern style, harness fitted (by PO) but i'd like to make a more authentic one. Thinking of getting all the materials together now while I can.

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

Stuart,
I brought 12 meters but 10 would suffice.

Julian

wiringloom photo Wiringloom08.jpg

WWII BSA wiring photo Wiringloom.jpg

photo Wiringloom12_zps89df21cc.jpg

photo Wiringloom02_zps1299eee5.jpg

photo Wiringloom01_zpsc0ac413e.jpg

photo Wiringloom07_zpse4c53825.jpg

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

The actual wire used untill the 60's was marine grade tinned copper wire.
I usually get it from a marine supplier.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Julian Hands
Stuart,
I brought 12 meters but 10 would suffice.

Julian

Cheers Julian.

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1