Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website photo with lee enfield mounting

Henk and all, have you ever seen these mountings for the lee enfield, I have seen ones for soft skin trucks but dont look the same these were lined with leather ? Has any body got any ?. I assume that these were taken off when late war racks were fitted and side arms or stens issued andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: Website photo with lee enfield mounting

hi andrew,i have sent pictures of one i have to henk,he will post them up hopefully when he is not busy,the one i have is indeed leather lined with a hard rubber boss below.
the spring steel mount swivels through 360 degrees and clamps to the frame with a wingnut type fixing.
there is also a wingnut to adjust the compression on the leather strap that holds the rifle.
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Oops, here they are.

Henk

rifle clip BSA

rifle clip BSA

rifle clip BSA

rifle clip BSA

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I have identical rifle clips on both my WW2 trade pattern Mk. IVb and/or Mk. V bicycles.
Are you sure the one on the WM20 is that model?

Rob

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

hi rob,i never said it was off a motorcycle,i asked if anyone had any info how the
rifle was secured to a motorcycle.
i bought this from a guy selling wm20 parts at stanford hall,it was he who pointed it out to john o brian and myself.
it appears the pictures dont show enough detail,and with the passage of time it may well be one of those questions that will now never be answered (like why is one side of the mudguard front stand a larger diameter than the other)
only time will tell
cheers rick

I agree with Rob, Ricks gun clip was designed for a bicycle nearly 30 years before the M20 was first built.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&II=0&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=19100922&CC=GB&NR=190926949A&KC=A

But its possible thats how it was done???

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi, robb rick henk, It may be for speed the bike ones were used on MCs Just thinking about first war pedal bikes, I have a book on them will need to look it out, but if I remember correctly were also fitted with some sort of rack or clip for a lee enfield robb will know more andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

hi rob,can you retype the web-site link as some of it is off the page and i really would like a look
cheers rick

The link does work Rick

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

hi,yes got it scrolling front to back
cheers rick

Today I had a go at fitting rifle clips to an M20 frame.

Photobucket

The only clips I have are angled outwards and its possible the ones used in the photo are straighter.

Photobucket

The front clip appears to be mounted on the early horn mounting bolt below the saddle spring.

Photobucket

The rear clip is bolted on behind the spring clip for the early short prop stand.

Photobucket

Here are a couple of pictures with the rifle attached.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The rifle sticks out a long way at the front and I would imagine its quite an uncomfortable riding position but I will have to try it with a tank and saddle fitted.

And finaly here is a section from a 1943 chilwell spares list showing a range of different rifle clips. (From a Rob van Meel reprint, Thanks Rob.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Interesting stuff...though it might be an idea to fit something over the end of the barrel unless you want to force feed you rifle with water and dirt...and crap flying up off the back wheel on a wet/muddy road wouldn't do the other end much good either I would have thought.
As to the front stay mentioned by Rick..I am happy that after 20 or so years pondering and enquiring there is now a satisfactory explanation for that one....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright

As to the front stay mentioned by Rick..I am happy that after 20 or so years pondering and enquiring there is now a satisfactory explanation for that one....Ian

I know what you're going to say Ian...

Photobucket

... But why is this chap doing it the other way round then?

Photobucket

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi Jan, If memory serves, the training film specifically mentions dropping the bike to the left...so I guess that man will be on a charge.. ..However, if you have a machine with a heavy stay on both sides (as many do) I suppose it doesn't really matter...Ian

Being as front stays have been mentioned, I don't have a copy to hand to quote from, but (and I accept my memory might be wrong)I seem to remember the Haynes Profile for the M20 saying that early bikes had a ring attached to the front (stay/stand?) for locating a rifle vertically down the front forks. I'm imagining in the style of the Harley scabbard. Is this a myth, or was this the case? I've yet to come across such a stay or a pic with one visible in it, but has anyone else been more lucky? Is this connected to the different thickness of the front stand, i.e. thicker to take the weight of the weapon?

email (option): cruiserchooser AT hotmail.co.uk

I think it's safe to say this is a myth..not only have I never seen such a stay physically, in a photograph or in a parts list but there are no associated parts that would make up the rest of such an assembly listed or recorded anywhere either..and I definitely wouldn't believe everything you read in the 'Super Profile' books...I remember reading somewhere that the cutaway tanks were to give clearance for the DRs pistol. ..Quite unusual to wear a pistol on the inside leg..it brings a whole new meaning to 'Which way do you dress, Sir?..Ian

Ian Wright
I remember reading somewhere that the cutaway tanks were to give clearance for the DRs pistol. ..Quite unusual to wear a pistol on the inside leg..it brings a whole new meaning to 'Which way do you dress, Sir?..Ian

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I thought it was for his Piss Tool

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

If I had a 'Piss tool' the size of a vokes filter hose I'd be in the films not the bloody army... ....Ian

Hi Rob, I really like that, I think you have the rifle clips sussed well done.
I would love a set for my bike as I would actually use it to carry my rifle to the range. A bloke who sometime turns up on an M20 has some rifle clips to carry his. He's fitted them on the right side and I guessed he's made them as I'd never seem such a thing. His rifle is in a WD issue canvas sleeve so protecting it from the elements. Lee Enfield's were also issued with a canvas muzzle cover. Just a small bag with a string pull to tighten it. The good thing with these covers is you can still shoot your rifle with it fitted without damaging the rifle, unlike the earlier brass muzzle covers. But if your life depended on it you'd shoot through a brass one anyway. A canvas bag is also a lot cheaper to produce.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

They also made a cover for the breech as well.... I got one with my Mk4.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Here are the pictures again from the previous post.

Image6

The only clips I have are angled outwards and its possible the ones used in the photo are straighter.

The front clip appears to be mounted on the early horn mounting bolt below the saddle spring.

The rear clip is bolted on behind the spring clip for the early short prop stand.

Here are a couple of pictures with the rifle attached.

The rifle sticks out a long way at the front and I would imagine its quite an uncomfortable riding position but I will have to try it with a tank and saddle fitted.

And finaly here is a section from a 1943 chilwell spares list showing a range of different rifle clips. (From a Rob van Meel reprint, Thanks Rob.)

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1