Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox Sealed Bearing vs. Outer Washer 24-4225

Ian says the outer oil flinger washer 24-4225 can be left out when installing the gearbox sealed bearing. Will this cause misalignment in the final chain line? Does the gearbox sprocket bear on the outer washer and so will move toward the box by 0.040 inch?

Re: Gearbox Sealed Bearing vs. Outer Washer 24-4225

Hi Tom.

The sealed bearing will be fine in the application but I would consider leaving the washer in place to remove any doubt.
Only a thought.

Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Hi Tom..To be honest I've done it both ways at different times...I think the shield is less than .040" thick but even at that thickness it has no measureable effect on chain operation. A simplex chain can easily tolerate that degree of misalignment over the distance from the gearbox to rear sprocket.
It is also extremely likely that the rear of the frame will be out by at least that much if not more.
However, to reduce discrepancies to a minimum refitting the shield will help...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks, Darren and Ian. I failed to mention that I bunged up the only washer I have while pounding out the old bearing. It drags on the case now and I can't seem to get it back in shape. If it is locked to the inner bearing race by the sprocket neck, then it has to rotate freely.

I ordered a new one from Domiracer since they are on the same side of the Mississippi River.

email (option): hopkins 321zed mit yahoo dot com

Re: Gearbox Sealed Bearing vs. Outer Washer 24-4225 - THANKS TO IAN & ALL

Tom Hopkins
Thanks, Darren and Ian. I failed to mention that I bunged up the only washer I have while pounding out the old bearing. It drags on the case now and I can't seem to get it back in shape. If it is locked to the inner bearing race by the sprocket neck, then it has to rotate freely.

I ordered a new one from Domiracer since they are on the same side of the Mississippi River.

Since Ian will be spending more time online until he heals, let me take this opportunity to thank him and everyone here for the help with installing the gearbox sealed bearing last year. I did manage to get the bearing done with much cursing and hair pulling.

Now the bike runs and shifts no worse than before and far less oil is leaking. It was quite a project for a shade tree mechanic (aka garden shed engineer). I am working up the courage to do it again on my other bike.

Don't forget that if your using a rubber sealed bearing & you want to retain the original washer thickness in there, you don't need the correct special washer you only need one that's outer dia is 1.175" so no concerns about rubbing on casing as it turns.
;)

Thanks, Fred, I took the easy way out and just left out the washer. Luckily, nothing is rubbing.

Nieuwe pagina 1