Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
triumph 3ta wd

can any one help a freind and i have just purchaced a pair of triumph 3ta wd bikes (1966)they were used by the dutch army 1966 to 1984 and have been in storage after that till now (yes they were the ones at the war and peace show this year.we are looking for links to history of use the kit fitted to these bikes and what clothing would have been worn ect helmet ect (both uk and dutch )thanks to ron at goodwood revival (giving a brilliant display and a long chat)for putting us in contact with this site.
just out of interst the triumph regester show the bikes left the prouction line one day apart ,not bad concidering that was 46 years ago nice to keep them together as a pair.

email (option): clinton@taylor105.freeserve.co.uk

Re: triumph 3ta wd

Have a look at http://www.triumph3ta.nl/Engels/indexengels.html
Great bike, I owned several and won a "Best Military" at the 2003 Stafford Show with one. In fact, it was there together with the very first 3TA, then called TwentyOne, frame and engine H5; H1 was a test model, since scrapped, H2, 3 and 4 were non-functional show models).
There are still a few around, and spares are not a great problem; the Solex carb and special air filter allows you to wade through nearly 3 ft of water...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Hi Clint,

The man in the middle on this picture has ridden one during his service. I don't know if his gear is exactly how it should be, but it can't be that far away.

70-14

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@hotmail.com

This is a pic of the grandmother of the Dutch Army 3TA:
Photobucket

The final production of the 3TA was 1100 for the Dutch Army; they had nice leather saddlebags:

3TA

Hi Sven, Nice picture!

email (option): vplrn@hotmail.com

Know of two of these bikes for sale in Holland, one with Dutch papers.

3000 euro's for the 2.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

H5 was sold to the UK, to a collector who paid me VERY generously; H6 recently went to Germany. They are nice bikes, handsome in a way, but your luggage should not be more than a toothbrush. Unless you mounted the special panniers, very ugly...

Getting these bikes without papers registered is rather easy; just obtain a copy of the delivery document from the 3TA website. Did several this way, no problem

thanks everyone
trying to get everything together before dvela local office gets closed down,
allways found local office very helpfull,where else can you go with apile of paperwork and come with a registration number (dvla head office very difficult to deal with,its like banging your head against a brick wall)keep it coming every bit helps.

I take it your local office isn't Birmingham? After waiting a month for an inspection I'm now waiting for my paperwork to arrive in the post with my reg number. Was supposed to be riding to Cadwell Park today for a weekend VMCC bike meeting, going in my van instead. Not a happy bunny. Laverda parked in garage all loaded up just waiting for a number plate!

Everyone I have spoken to has gone from paperwork to reg number in one visit.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they all close and we have to go to a VOSA site for inspections etc.

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

I usually take the bike (in a van) to the LVLO when I go to register it, and that way if there is any query regarding the numbers or anything else you can get the staff to check it over. I use Chester LVLO and never have a problem, they've only wanted to see the bike once in the many times I've been there. Usually the MOT is stamped with the new reg number, or in the case of the new ones a new one is printed off, the disc is issued and the logbook sent through within 2 weeks.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

hi,my friends next job is to demolish trafford house,the manchester DVLA.
i wonder what will be built there next
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

To get back on topic, here an official Dutch picture of a 3TA, the only one I've been able to find sofar.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

rick probably a super market and pound shops

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Very interesting thread. Does anyone know whether the 3TA WD uses a standard 3TA front brake cable? I believe the brake drum on these bikes is an older design than that on the standard 3TA. Also, any advice on front brake shoes would be most welcome. Who can supply them or is it a case of having new linings put on the existing shoes? The problem we have is that one of the bikes referred to by Clint at the start of this thread has a very poor front brake. There is plenty of lining material on the shoe, but despite careful cleaning of the shoes and hub, it is pretty useless.

Also, can anyone tell me if there is an air filter currently available which fits the round container used for the Solex carb?

Many thanks all; really enjoyed the pictures.

Robin

hi again
update on our two 1966 triumph 3tawd's, they now both have an mot and are on the road, after contacting the triumph ownwers club for datails for the DVLA to our surprise they told us that the bikes left the production line just one day apart. after visiting DVLA brighton (personaly, when you could)they kindley gave us age related registrations that ran consecutively .
we are now looking forward to summer to use them an a regular basis .
in fact one of them is being used as a daily ride and is running realy well
recieving much attention wherever it goes.
the front brake shoes were found to be standard triumph items for the earlier year bike and indeed has improved the braking tremendously, we believe the old shoes were contaminated with fork oil (possible over filling in the past).

email (option): clinton@taylor105.freeserve.co.uk

There is another one on Milweb at the moment...Anyone know how many were supplied to the Dutch Army...?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
There is another one on Milweb at the moment...Anyone know how many were supplied to the Dutch Army...?...Ian

1100 and 4 for testing...

Nieuwe pagina 1