Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question frame numbers

Goodday

I've got a BSA over here with framenumber WDM20 38104 and enginenumber WM 20 24666.
No papers or whatsoever.
Is there someone who can give me any info about the bike? year built etc?

Martijn

email (option): hoofdhoofd@hotmail.com

Re: Question frame numbers

Hi Martijn, all the regular gurus seem to have left for the Netley autojumble so I’ll step in. According to British Forces Motorcycles 1925-45, by Orchard & Madden:

Your engine was one of the last from contract C6654 for 4,000 bikes (engine numbers WM20-21001 through 25000) and would have been delivered to Chilwell in 1940, probably July.

Your frame was towards the end of the follow-on contract C7287 for 17,000 bikes (frame numbers WM20-25001 through 42000) and would have been delivered to Chilwell in 1941, probably June/July.

It is quite common for engine & frame numbers to differ as tired or broken engines got removed for overhaul and were replaced by a new or previously overhauled engine so that the bike was off the road for as short a time as possible.

I see no reason why you shouldn’t register your bike as a 1941 model bearing (if you wish) the WD serial number C4354696 corresponding to the frame.

ChrisJ

Hi Martijn

I agree with Chris, and as there is no keycard for your bike so I can't even add any postwar history.

Regards
Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Chris and Rob: many thanks! Now I have to get it running...

email (option): hoofdhoofd@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1