Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox Removal Advice Request

My gearbox has the standard drive side leak, so I ordered the recommended double rubber sealed bearing. The various publications don't provide much information on removing the gearbox from the frame. I will strip the chaincases and pull off the exhaust as directed. Does anybody have any additional tips, tricks, or advice for painless gearbox extraction?

Also, there is one minor problem with shifting from 3rd to 2nd. On occasion, it will select a false neutral, usually when I want to power through a corner. Since it gets all 4 gears most of the time, should I consider myself a lottery winner and leave well enough alone?

email (option): hopkins 3210 @ yahoo.com

Re: Gearbox Removal Advice Request

Hi Tom...Once you have the whole of the primary drive side off, have disconnected the clutch cable from the box and have removed the gearbox mounting bolts and adjuster from underneath, the box it will come out.(it will cme out with the exhaust on but it is easier with it removed.) It's a 'snug' fit under the oiltank and you have to take care not to catch the paint on the bottom of the tank. I generally pull the box out from the gearchange end...you then have the kickstart as a convenient handle/lever...
You8 may find it a little difficult to get it moving between the gearbox plates initially but a bit of gentle 'persuasion' will get it moving...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

hi tom,just my two penneth ,be careful when you take the large castleated nut off the clutch,i nearly castrated myself when i first undid mine.
there are tips somewhere in the technical section i think,also some advise on spring compressor tools etc.you can remove the clutch in its entirety,with the appropriate puller,also described in the technical section,but i would check it all out while you have the opportunity
hope this helps
cheers rick
ps just noticed that robb nortier has made some more extractors in the parts for sale section

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Thanks, Ian. There doesn't seem to be much clearance between the gearbox and oil tank. I think I will loosen or remove the yoke plate on that side, too.

Thanks also, Rick. I have Robb's clutch and engine nut tools and sorted out the clutch a few hundred miles ago. I wasn't planning to disassemble the whole clutch this time. You are right about that spring being a danger, though.

Nieuwe pagina 1