WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OGEL

This from the IMPS newsletter. Ron

Open General Export Licence – Exemptions for Belguim, France and Germany
The Announcement
The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) has announced an amendment to the legislation requiring privately owned military vehicles to be
covered by an Open General Export Licence when being taken out of the UK. The amendment exempts vehicles owners who only take their vehicles to
Belgium, France and/or Germany from the requirement to have an OGEL.
MV owners who take their vehicles to any other country require an OGEL.
This came into effect from the 8
th
August
The full announcement can be viewed at:
http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore/eco/docs/notices-to-exporters/2012/notice-to-exporters-2012-36-historic-vehicles-exemption.doc
Normandy 2014
This is good news for those MV owners who plan to go to Normandy in 2014, and have not already got an OGEL. They are not now required to obtain an
OGEL. They can also visit Belgium and Germany. However, if they intend to visit any other country as part of their Normandy tour then they will require an
OGEL.
Recommendation
If you already have an OGEL, do nothing.
If you don’t have an OGEL, and are sure you will not visit any countries other than Belgium, France and Germany, do nothing.
If you don’t have an OGEL, and think you are likely to visit other countries, in addition to Belguim, France and Germany, get an OGEL.
EXPORT CONTROL ENQUIRIES
For general export control queries please contact the ECO Helpline on 020 7215 4594 or mailto:eco.help@bis.gsi.gov.uk
ECO Business Awareness Team
Export Control Organisation
Notices to Exporters 2012/36
8 August 2012

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: OGEL

Thanks for posting that Ron...Good news for 2014..but now I'm going to HAVE to go somewhere else so I get to use mine.. ..Next, if the French would just repeal their dumbass dayglo law....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I wonder why The Netherlands is not included ? Probably concerns from English Heritage about the buggers buying up all the M20 parts ? Don't forget, Henk et al, you will require a licence in order to take home any specific WM20 parts that you find at Netley Marsh !

Presumably the new ruling also applies in the other direction and I wouldn't have to get an import and export licence when I take the 16H 'home' to Blighty and back in the future ?

How do we stand with the dayglo ruling ? There was a suggestion that if Sarky's government fell, the legislation in the pipeline would too. Have we heard anything since June ?

Very good point Rik, If I see any "foreigners" buying any especially nice parts this coming weekend I would be obliged to report them to HM Revenue & Customs for not having an export license.

Unless of coare they are buying bits from me.............. Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rik..The latest I have been able to find is that the law will be implemented from Jan 2013..However, French motorcyclists are planning more protests so watch this space. Also it is not entirely clear yet whether it will apply to foriegners travelling in France..but the prevailing comment indicates it probably will if it comes to pass.
As a matter of interest the law actually states it must be 'retro reflective' material..which DOES NOT necessarily mean yellow hi vis. The grey or silver coloured reflective material found on a lot of motorcycle clothing now is within the description of what they mean..It is not meant to be inherently visible in daylight, rather to be so by reflecting light at night.
Further, the material can be in one or more pieces but must add up to 150 square centimeters (approx. 5" square)..it must be worn on the upper body between the waist and neck (and this includes the arms), can be worn over (eg. armband) or as part of the clothing and must be visible to other drivers...Got that!! ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, I've had a good 'Google' in English and as much French as I can manage, including sites such as that from Motards en Colere and I can't find any reference to developments since the elections in June. They are up in arms about the EU MOTs but no mention about the clothing.

In most countries, legislation that hasn't passed the whole way through the system falls with a government. I wonder if the French motorcyclists are deliberately letting it go quiet ?

I think that we're already supposed to have reflective stickers on the helmets but at least no compulsory daytime lights for pre-1965.

Nieuwe pagina 1