Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help ID'ing a head lamp panel.

can anyone ID what bike this was for and what year? it came with a headlamp shell and blackout mask I bought. it was all complete and had the green under coating and what appears to be gas detection paint.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

BeSt regArds, Eric

email (option): BSAWM20@gmail.com

Re: Help ID'ing a head lamp panel.

Eric towards the end of war, economy measures increased and the ammeter was deleted and the switch was moved to under the seat for some reason. Quite often these panels were fitted with a small push button in the centre of the switch area. It was a means of testing that the battery was charging by using the back light somehow....... I think I got that right? seems a lot of effort to save probably 1/9.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm not convinced it was an economy measure and may have been just a change to the system. The additional test switch, extra wiring and the bracket for the light switch to be repositioned under the seat wouldn't add up to a saving I wouldn't have thought...Rather they might have thought a positive test for dynamo output was better than a rather vague ammeter reading..and a simple switch would be more durable than an ammeter as well. However, that doesn't really explain why some bikes had the test switch and some didn't..or did they do away with the 'tail light only' position on the main switch later on and use that for testing instead?.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have another theory.

Some early bikes with switch panels in the petrol tank had a plain headlamp without the switch panel, at some point production of these early headlamps ceased and replacements were no longer available, so if an early panel tank bike needed a new headlamp due to an accident, a standard DU42 would be supplied with one of these blank panels.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Good theory Rob..That would explain the plain panels without the test switch...and the large number of these panels that seem to turn up as 'spares'...But do you think the later changes were for economy or a modification to the system for other reasons?..Ian

I have an article somewhere (I think in a period magazine) which indicated that the switch gear was moved after it was noted that many electrical problems related to damage to the loom around the headstock. The saving in rubber insulation after it became scarce would have been appreciated as well.

The switch on the headlamp looks nice but I can hardly see mine when I'm on the move and it still requires one hand from the bars to operate so the alternative placement is not a disadvantage, once familiar.

One thing I'd like is one of those nice 1920s Bowden steering dampers, cable operated by a thumb control so that I can tighten the damper down in mid air. The wretched Norton keeps going airborne and trying to slap when it lands.

Their like Ostriches Rik (and M20's)..They're not supposed to fly... ...Ian

Ian Wright
Their like Ostriches Rik (and M20's)..They're not supposed to fly... ...Ian

Neither am I supposed to fly, nor are my heels supposed to come past my ear'oles but some of these concrete Belgian roads have got slabs that are tipped up like the bow of an aircraft carrier !

I've had it crossed-up and squirming a couple of times over the last few weeks. All motorcycles are meant to be thrashed, aren't they ?

Yes...Ian

so when were they used taking into consideration all the possible scenarios? are there any wartime pictures of this panel?

Eric

Hi Eric..Well they stopped fitting panel tanks fairly early I think..late 40? I'm sure Ron or someone else will confirm the date. So if the 'spare part' theory of Robs is correct every panel tank bike that had a replacement headlamp fitted after that would have got one of these..(apart from the ones captured by the Germans )...Ian

I guess then that my mid war bike wouldn't have had this fitted?
pity...the gas paint looks really really nice.
BeSt RegArds, Eric

Yes I would go along with Ian on panel tanks being about done with in 1940. But of course lots could have seen service right through the war which adds credence to Rob's theory. Backed up by the fact that I have had several of those blank panels for 8" headlamps.

Eric, just keep it on the mantelpiece as an ornament.....Or upside down as an ash tray Ron

Hi Eric..Later bikes still had the paint applied...So see if you can get a paintshop to match the original colour and apply that to your bike over the correct parts....Ian

Well...I am just going to sell it...if anyone is interested in it email me off list
BeSt regArds, Eric

I might be mistaken Eric? But it doesn't look like gas detection paint to me. Rather like ageing Service Brown.

Ron

I'm with Ron on that. It's difficult to see which colour came first, the green or the brown but those early paints oxidise badly. What colour is it on the underside ?

I'd be surprised if gas paint was applied right down the back of a headlamp.

the entire headlamp shell, blackout mask and lamp panel were the same color green underneath, the brown is more yellowish in real life and looks like the real gas paint that is on the head lamp ring of my current head lamp.

Nieuwe pagina 1