Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Here's my friends Matchless

I've mentioned my friends Matchless a few times & here's a picture, neither of us are knowledgeable on Matchless so any info/observations are welcome.

Re: Here's my friends Matchless

Hi Fred, not much to go on, with a picture from only one side, but looks like a typical Army rebuild, with mixed G3/G3L parts.

G3L parts that Isofar can tell from this picture:

Petrol Tank, Headlamp, Rear frame, Saddle and springs and the rear carrier, has extended legs, could be brought back to original specs.

If theres a rebuild plate with postwar army reg. no. I can probavly tell you more.

A lot of these were released from the army in such a configuration, so wouldn't worry about it, original G3 parts are very rare and very expensive!

Like the "Commonwealth" transfer on the tank! this has a Queeens crown, and as such also postwar, was this on the bike before the restoration? think that's the 28th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade crest stationed in Malaya and Korea?

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lex, thanks for that, I can get some more numbers etc off it next week (the owner is at Dorset steam fair till then) he hasn't touched the bike since acquiring it from a Guy who had it stored in that condition for many years & who also bought it in that condition in late 90's.
We know nothing of its recent history, I found it had been timed in the retard position instead of advanced & once rectified & given a once over it ran fine so it must've been put like it is & never run as the owner (before my friend) said he never rode it or ran the engine.
I assume you mean the G3L parts are post war MOD spec items. I remember reading the engine number as just G3.

Hello Fred, I'll be in the UK for a week too, so no worries, your friend might be stuck in the mud in Dorset! have heard some stories, worse then Beltring!

Anyway, when the bikes were rebuilt, sometimes in '43/'44/'45 the army stores had no more G3 parts availeble, so they just used G3L stuff, there was a war on! on this one, they kept the G3 cyl. head, wich is nice, and also has the difficult to find correct pipe clamp.

Good that they never ran it retarded, might have done some damage!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

At least yours has the proper G3 mudguards, mine has late war G3L ones, but it would be a shame to change anything,as Lex says,it's all part of the bikes army history. You can get new repro tanks, headlights and so on, but would changing them over for new bits made in Madras in 2012 make the bike more original? It's a little cracker, leave it as it is, ride it and enjoy it is my message.

Nieuwe pagina 1