Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 colour

I wrote recently about colours. I have decided to keep it the same colour as it came out of the factory. Looks like Olive Drab. Now I need a friendly painter in either Norfolk or Suffolk who would take on the task at a reasonable price. Any names greatly appreciated.
There are grease seals on both the front and rear hubs which seem to have allowed grease to enter the brake drum. Probably as a result of greasing every 2 weeks!!! They are saturated in grease. Should these be replaced or just soaked in petrol to clean them? Is there a modern seal that could replace these?

email (option): araine11@hotmail.com

Re: M20 colour

isnt 2 pack doggy to use ie breathing apperatus

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I got mine from www.warpaint.rrservices.co.uk telephone 01233 820219. Very knowledgable folks and the paint was £45 + VAT for 5 litres. They do all the 'standard' colours and will quite happily mix you any special shade you need. When mixed 50-50 with thinners, the paint sprayed on very nicely indeed with no drama, but I also brush painted some of the smaller bits (and bits I'd forgotten about until it was too late!) and the paint brushed on as smoothly as if it had been sprayed, just like an old fashioned coachpaint, quality stuff.

The problem is with war paint is that it is quite brittle and dosen't seem to stick to the primer very well and when you tighten a nut against it it chips off. I also had a problem with getting the colours the same when I had to paint a few more items, this was despite thoroughly mixing it with a drill attachment every time. The only saving grace is that it is cheap, but you get what you pay for. At least the two pack is tougher. With regards to the safety of using it I'd buy a 3m mask suitable for inorganic vapours and wear a pair of goggles you should be ok if you are spraying it outdoors

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I agree Dave, two pack is generally much better stuff, but I've had no trouble at all with the War Paint product myself. Two pack used to be horrible stuff full of all sorts of nasty things, isocyanates and so on that meant an air fed mask, paint booth and overalls were a must, but are these a thing of the past now? I assume that with modern health and safety and enviromental issues two pack is a little less of a problem nowadays and as you say, is probably more of a thing you can tackle yourself at home now?

They still are an issue, but the 3m masks are very good, as you purchase them for the application you require, they are a proper filter mask that is very lightweight and comfortable to wear and you don't even smell the paint through them, so I guess they do work well, you need the goggles as the paint can be absorbed through the eyes, but as an occasional painter the stuff is adequate especially if you lessen the risk by spraying it outdoors as most of the harmful vapours would dissipate into the air, using an HVLP gun also lessens the amount of paint in the air. Obviously if you were doing it every day you would need the full protection and booth, but this should be adequate for occasional use. if you want to do it in your shed or garage, I'd recommend spraying it the exiting the shed for about 20 minutes to let the vapours die down.

is cellulose paint still available as it brushes on well am i wrong but was there legistation saying the paint shop is not allowed to sell it to the general public only trade

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

You can buy any type of paint available as long as it is for a vintage vehicle (ie any paint that is contemporary with your vehicle) you are required to fill in the downloadable form from English heritage On their site type in the search box "paint" and a link to the form should appear. But in reality most automotive paint supplier will supply any type of paint they sell to anyone!

Nieuwe pagina 1