Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fork again

In the following I’ve tried to solve once and for all the riddle of my fork.
So I did like Ron and determined the centerline using a perfectly flat surface and perfect (Moore and Wright of course) squares. The results: 68 mm = 2 11/16" on the right side leg and 75 mm = 2 15/16" on the left leg. Total 143 mm = 5 5/8".

Photobucket

The fork, although coming from Egypt in a container with scrap, seems in good order, without any signs of damage or bending.

Then I took the newly laced wheel, with an offset of about 8 mm = 5/16" as measured on the brake drum. I measured the distance between the nut 24-6994 and distance piece 24-7051.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The result: 148 mm = 5 53/64" (I still wonder how you could win a war using this kind of measures...). So my fork has either to be widened by 5 mm = 13/64" or I could remove the spacer 36-3528 which does not seem to be a good idea, you need something between nut and speedo drive to protect the latter.

Calculations

I could also bend the right fork leg inwards for about 5 mm, and bend the left leg outwards about 10 mm, then the wheel will be near perfectly centred. Or I could modify the offset of the wheel....
Who has the final answer what to do

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Re: Fork again

Hi Hans..I would have thought that if the centerline dimensions of the forks do not match the standards book the forks should be 'tweeked' until these two dimensions are correct. That would give the legs the correct 'offset' and should then also result in a correct overall width..
The overall width of the wheel measured across the brake plate spacer/ speedo drive assembly should then be the same. If not that would have to be investigated and rectified. Once that was correct the final thing then would be to centralise the rim to the frame, adjusting the rim offset to suit...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1