Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oooops!

I was supposed to meet my brother on his M21 combo at the Onslow park vehicle rally at the weekend but he rang me to say he'd broken down, so when he got back he stripped it down to reveal the following! He dropped the motor off with me on Tuesday evening and it was ready on Wednesday evening complete with redone crankshaft. The only thing I coudn't get done was his barrel as we had no piston, but I rebored it just undesize of the nominal size for +0.060 (as the broken conrod had been hitting on the bore) So basically we're just waiting on a piston.
What was interesting was that his M21 pulls a huge triple adult sidecar and is in daily use as his only means of transport and has covered in excess of 150000 miles and has been on the road pretty well non-stop since the 1980's. So it has served him well. A couple of years back I did the Harley big end roller conversion to it when it had a bit of play in the big end so it gave me an opportunity to check all was well with it and it showed absolutely no wear at all, so I guess the conversion does work fine!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: Oooops!

A rare occurence with the M20/21..I would say your brother was lucky to get away without righting off the barrel. I have just taken delivery of a Carrillo rod for the M20 sprinter...I really didn't fancy trying to do over 100mph with the standard one in case the same thing occurred!. Years back I bought an M21 off an old boy who had owned it from new and it had never had the bottom end stripped in 106,000 miles...Tell that to kids today (or Norton owners) and they don't believe you.... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think he's done in excess of 180 000 miles on it as it really has been on the road non stop for 25 or so years, the maintenance has been minimal sometimes using secondhand oil, so I guess it has really earned it's keep. It amazes me it's kept going for as long as it has, as far as I know it has had a gearbox main shaft (snapped) a gearbox shell (exploded and completely shattered) a new barrel (fins rotted off it)and a crank rebuild a couple of years ago, other than that it has only had odd maintenance items such as gaskets, rings, valves and an odd lick of paint.
What was really nice was being able to get the motor rebuilt in a day (no cosmetics, just strip and reassemble) which is testament to the robustness and simplicity of the design!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nice one on the conversion Dave, but photos like this always scare the bejeezus out of me. After 150000 miles are we going to call this fatigue?

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1