Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sealing for Kickstarter Axle Norton 16h

Hi all,

I am just finishing the Gearbox of my Norton 16H from 1936.
There is an open question on the Kick starter Axle. The part got 2 grooves on the axle. See drawing:

Photobucket

Asking myself if this is intended to mount seling rings into this grooves to avoid oil leacking out of the gearbox.
Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Phillip

email (option): phillip.thaler@gmx.at

Re: Sealing for Kickstarter Axle Norton 16h

Hi Phillip,

Have wondered about these before, they are too small to fit O rings in them, also they never had that kind of seal then.
The only seal fitted was a cork flat ring fitted at the end of the shaft up against the kickstart ratchet. Russell motors may have these but are easily made. But what you have to do once fitted is feel for in and out play on the kickstart shaft against the layshaft. This new seal should take this up. If not you need to check the layshaft bush deep inside the kickstart shaft, if this is worn too much end float will be present on kickstart shaft against the layshaft, and the cork seal cannot work. If you get this end float down to a minimum before you fit the cork seal you can get a oil tight joint.
This bronze bush is easily made but its a pain getting the old one out of the kickstart shaft. I have no idea of the original length of this bush, all i do is measure the end float take the old bush out and make a new one adding the end float onto the new bush. After fitting a gasket to the end cover the end float is then correct and you will get a good fit on the new cork seal.
Hope this makes sense.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Re: Sealing for Kickstarter Axle Norton 16h

Hi Tim,

thanks for the hint. The bush inside the Kickstarter I have already rebuilt, I removed the old bush on the lathe put a new one in and on the lathe fitted it to the new diameter.
Now I had a look at the spare part book, you are right, there is a cork sealing mentioned. I will built one by myself. Lets see how thick the sealing could be. I thought there is not much space left.

Thanks

Phillip

email (option): phillip.thaler@gmx.at

Nieuwe pagina 1