Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Proper Horn Push for BSA WM20 and Its Placement

Hello Again:
I want to install a horn push (no dip switch) for my 1943 BSA M20. Looking at the Lucas specification sheet (from Henk), it says 76206 4A screw fixing, suitable for 7/8 inch bar, M20 500 cc 1937-1955. Most that I see on restorations is the clamp (clip) type 76204 4A for 7/8 inch bar.

I emailed Mr. Pier and he sent me a picture of a control bracket with screw holes and a curvature that visually appears to match the 76206 4A horn push. He did not know of any horn push of the 76206 4A type that screwed directly to the handlebar. Mr. Pier may be able to attach the above picture for other menbers to see.

I searched the various war time pictures from Henk, but could not find one with sufficient close-up detail to ascertain "what is what".

Does anyone have photographs that would document the correct horn push and it position for the WM 20?

I see several modern photographs with the 76204 4A clip type placed both left and right side on the handlebar. I would assume that the rightside (rider seated looking forward) would be the appropriate location along side the choke lever with the retard and exhaust control on the opposite side.

Any insight will be appreciated. If the clip type is correct, that will be most economical and easy to get versus the other one. I may have located the latter, but it is $$$$ pricy! Thanks.

Doc

email (option): h2odoc@nmt.edu

Re: Proper Horn Push for BSA WM20 and Its Placement

This is the picture I sent to Doc. These are the pre war BSA levers with provision for the horn on the brake and dip-switch on the clutch. I have some repros to fit one day. I think they used a similar idea post war. It's my belief that the WD M20 had a standard Lucas 'clamp-on' horn push mounted on the handlebar just inboard of the brake lever? Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

on my b31 the horn push is like ron's picture shows except mine is on the front brake lever which is chromed

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Ron,

If you'd have asked me, I had an original horn button for your levers, sold it a month ago!

There was an excellent post on horn buttons, with many pictures, but cannot find it anymore, here what I have still on the picture server.

Early War bars

Prewar bars

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Doc..Here's a NOS original on my BSA WB30...Ian Photobucket

Doc I have zoomed in on Ian's horn push which is the type I suggested is the one you need. Like the ones in Lex's third picture. Ron

Photobucket

Anyone know of a source for a curved back (pre war) type. repro or just shell would be OK. ..

Ron, what is the correct bracket for the handlebar levers you sent to Doc, i cannot make sense of the lot I have.

Thanks for your time,

Henri

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Not quite sure what are asking me Henri?

Ron

Is this any help?
Photobucket

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Doc is trying to locate the brackets that hold the brass levers that you sent him. Do you have a pic of what it may look like so that I can identify amongst the lot that I hide.

Henri

OK Henri. The levers should look something like this. It'll be a case of trial fitting the levers to any brackets you might have. Ron

Photobucket

Thanks a bunch military Ron.

Henri

Lovely finish & attention to detail Ian.
What year is it and is the barrel painted or coated?

Ian Wright
Hi Doc..Here's a NOS original on my BSA WB30...Ian Photobucket

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

I assume that there was an Army Council Directive stipulating that it should not be possible to operate front brake and horn at the same time ? I have double-jointed thumbs but it's very much either / or.

Hi Lee.Thanks for the positive comments..It's 1942, from a contract of 100 machines for the Admiralty...The only production batch completed in fact.
The barrel and head are satin black powder coated...This finish lasts well on the much cooler running OHV engines but doesn't last at all well on the sidevalves..(unfortunately)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1