Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'VE BEEN CHECKING MY FILES

Can any of you engineering types recommend a decent manufacturer of files? I tend to use them quite a lot (on various projects), and I wear them out pretty quickly too.

I try not to buy cheap rubbish, but my limited knowledge of files might mean I'm simply buying expensive rubbish.

I wouldn't use them so much if I had some proper engineering equipment. But I tend to make the parts I need in much the same way that Afghan farmers manufacture machine guns.

So what file to buy? And are old files seen at autojumbles worth buying? And if so, how can you tell good from bad?

Any advice welcome.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: I'VE BEEN CHECKING MY FILES

hi danny,stubbs files are prolly the best you can buy,but i dont know if they are still in business.
what exactly do you need?i will look in my box of goodies
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Danny..You should get something decent from a good industrial supplier such as Buck and Hickman..It is getting more difficult these days to find a quality option for most things though...
On another subject altogether I'd like another couple of your T shirts if you still have some...can you mail me?...thanks....Ian

Rick, thanks for the offer. But a name brand recommendation is fine. I'll check out your suggestion.

And Ian, thanks also. I'll email you off the forum regarding the T-shirts.

A discussion on files always puts me in mind of the old craftsman who turned to the new apprentice and said;

"Pass me the big bastard"

The lad went to the row hanging on the wall and came back with something far too fine in his hand...

"I can't find the big bastard. Will this little fucker do ?"

Well, it makes me laugh...

Thanks Danny....Rik..It's the Golden Rivet that leaves the lasting impression when you're an apprentice...Ian

Thanks, Darren. I'll check them out.

I have two sets of files: one for ferrous materials, the other for the rest. Some single cut for alloy, and when they are at the end of the sharp life, I give them a good acid bath, and they are sharp again
And if you need a good wood rasp (not so often in our kind of sport) go and buy the French Auriou ones, see http://forge-de-saint-juery.com/index.html . Hand-made, perfect and EXPENSIVE

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Thanks, everyone, for the tips and suggestions.

email (option): dannydefazio:sumpmagazine.com

i brought some from B and Q they cost £7 each but i have had it for a couple of years and it files anything even misused it and is still perfect

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1