Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3WO exhaust details

I am just trying to order a new silencer of rmy Matchless but the supplier reckons that the tapered silencer , which mine has may not have lugs for fixing. My old silencer and down pipe both have lugs for fixing. Can anyone tell me whether this is correct for a 1940 panel in tank G3WO?

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

Re: Matchless G3WO exhaust details

Andrew mine has a stud at the back just where the tailpipe exits the silencer and another one on the front pipe by the front engine plates. Otherwise how would you attach the strap brackets? Also the G3 has the turned out tailpipe.

If it's Armours, tell them I said "Stop pissing about".......They know me as 'Military Ron'

If however you are buying un-plated. Then it might be easier to just weld a 5/16" bolt where you want them.

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ha! Thanks Ron yes it is Armours. Not sure what they are on they reckon they have never seen this type exhaust with lugs. Whilst on the subject though can you let me have a photo of the front bracket that fits to the lug as I do not have any of that. Mine was tied on with wire !

I'll email you some pix. I think sometimes they don't put fixings on as they get complaints that they don't suit the customers bike. The only other option is to receive an item in an unfinished state. Then return it for plating after you have fettled it yourself. Or get it plated at a place of your own choosing.

Ron

Ron, did you get that exhaust from Armours or was it on when you got the bike?

email (option): andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

One interesting observation......G3's made for the 40-41 model year ("41 G3") appear to have been fitted with a hybrid silencer that resembled the later G3L type (barrel shape) but retaining the longer out-turned end..........I used a G3L silencer on my 41 G3 but had the earlier tailpipe grafted on to this......

There's your answer Andrew. My bike was originally restored by Steve. I never knew that about the silencer. Armours will make anything to your pattern. So I guess just get them to copy your original.

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1