Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Proper color for the blackout mask

Hello all; I have a 1943 BSA M20 and want to fit the DU42 headlamp with a blackout mask. What color should it be? Black or the same as the mudguards and tank. A NOS mask I got for my 741B Indian was black. An OEM Lucas Max Lite for a MU42 headlamp that I have is black as well. I have seen a few restorations with masks the same as the motorcycle. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Doc

email (option): h2odoc@nmt.edu

Re: Proper color for the blackout mask

Hi Doc

All the original blackout masks I've had have been painted black, and thats the way they appear in most original photos. But I guess if a bike was repainted during service it could end up the same colour as the bike.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

That's good enough for me Rob. The 8" mask I am preparing for the DU142 on my WD/L will be black.

Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I rather like the red oxide

I see that one has two holes, one each side of the lower round light emitting orifice, I've not seen one like that?

Rob

Rob this is a 'Lucas Maxlite' I presume civilian? I have removed the Maxlite label and filled the oval indent that housed the label. It can't be much different to a military mask. Just don't tell anyone. Ron

Re: Proper colour for the blackout mask

I won't say a word Ron

Here are my 2 8" DU142 masks, the first has the Lucas maxlite logo the other one doesn't, both have the 4 pressed steel clips on the inside but I have no idea why?

Did the first Military blackouts have the lower light hole?

Rob

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mine also has those four tin fittings inside. I have know idea about the lower peep hole though. Ron

Are the spring clips some sort of universal centring device ? The implication in the adverts is that the Lucas mask will fit any make of headlamp (presumably including cars ?)

Photobucket

The type with the small window appears to have been available as early as January 1941.

I have an original paint headlamp with mask The mask is matt black and the lamp is the green drab.

email (option): imurrell@hotmail.co.uk

Well that's ok then Rik. My WDL is 1942. Ron

The lower pilot light orifice did not appear to have originally featured on the initial production....possibly because it was essentially redundant due to the strict blackout regs then in force....my 16H has an 8" mask with a tiny "pin-hole" pilot light aperture, possibly introduced as a convoy marker feature and no doubt complimenting the early "pin-hole" Lucas L WD MCT1 tail light ("fag end" variety)......it seems that the wider aperture found on most 6" masks and some 8" types appeared as early as 1941......
Masks appear to have been factory-finished in a black colour, not quite matt and with a very slight sheen.....many also seem to feature (when new) a small external rectangular-shaped paper label, often left in place until it fell away......you can see this feature in some wartime pics....

Nieuwe pagina 1