Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broken stand lug - ideas to fix?

I 'found' this when the stand gave up on me yesterday.

aug 004x

It has obviously been bodge repaired previously. Anyone any idea what the parent metal of the frame lug is? My brief inspection of what looks like quite a crystaline structure suggests cast iron, but I'm hoping that isn't the case. Anyone know for definite? Further to that has anyone successfully repaired this problem and if so, how? Other than the obvious of welding a piece back in if the metal is steel not cast iron.

Re: Broken stand lug - ideas to fix?

Not cast iron, its a forging, same as footrests, it can easily be mig welded without any concerns.

Thanks for that CFred.

Plan A. Opinions invited. As on a lot of these old bikes the faces of the existing part of the frame that the stand hits are worn. In the case of the one when the bike is on the stand this is particularly so. I propose to take what I see as drastic action, but long term a better ‘fix’, by grinding away some more of the existing area, to a width /depth of approx 1/4 inch. This would be so that I regain ‘new’ faces for the stand to bear on and gives me a better and bigger area to weld on to. Fitting a new piece roughly circular with two straight 'ears' coming off at appropriate angles. The previous bodge just involved inserting a suitable bit of round section and welding it (after a fashion) on the relatively small area in contact with the frame lug. Because the stand has to fit around this obviously the weld had to be ground almost flat on both sides and this weakened the joint. Maybe coupled with incompatible weld rod/materials? Moving the welded area away from the immediate pivot area should give a welded joint area that does not have to be ground at all.

Obviously a suitable hole will be drilled in the new part first!

Opinions invited.

Hi,

Check this:

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1231980&cmd=show

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Thanks gents, much appreciated.

Its amazing just how much stuff is on this forum, and how much you can miss!

email (option): cruiserchooser AT hotmail.co.uk

Hi, i sawed a small bit out of the frame so i got a bit longer weld, and made the replacement with a little bit more material in the loop,and Tig-welded on both sides, has worked nice for two years. Just waiting for it to happen on the other side also :)

/Jerry

StdII

StdIII

email (option): jerry.carlsson@sspa.se

Also take care that the stand is only a few degrees through the vertical when the bike is on the stand.

Because of the great leverage the forces on the pivot and frame increases a lot when the stand is to far through the vertical plane.

Disadvantage is that the bike will more easily fall of the stand but you can use the front park brake (when fitted) to tackle that.

Good luck, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

I fixed it like this, with a disk welded in place. Lasts for years already.

Henk

BSA frame repair

BSA frame repair

BSA frame repair

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1