Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off Topic - Triumph Bren Carrier

I was browsing through my Morton's Scrapbook Series issue on Triumphs and saw a picture which I'd clearly overlooked in the past.
It was a photograph of a Triumph motorcycle Bren gun carrier which never went into production. Odd looking machine!
Does anyone have any information about this thing?

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Re: Off Topic - Triumph Bren Carrier

Hi Bruce. I expect you mean this thing. It's a Triumph 3SW with armour plate on the right side. You lay the bike over and use it as a shield for airfield protection. I have a magazine article about it somewhere but can't find it just now. One of our DR's here has built a replica, so I'm sure some more pictures will be forth coming. To counter balance the weight of the shield, a large box of ammo and a lead filled tool box are mounted on the N/S. The replica was displayed on our stand at Goodwood Revival last year, and I had a job to lift it off the side stand. But the owner has ridden it. I think only one was made (not sure) and they were never designed for road use. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for that Ron - figured that you may know something about it!
If you can find the article, I would appreciate a copy if I may. I was looking to run an article on it in my next issue of the South African Triumph Owner's Club newsletter.
Always seem to be scratching for some different content....... this would certainly fit the bill!

I still can't find that magazine Bruce. But look at this.

https://sites.google.com/a/wfvc.co.uk/toys/w-d-motorcycles/triumph-w-o-3-sw

Ron

Thanks Ron.

I see that the link to the original pictures indicates that there is copyright held by Mortons.
Have you ever dealt with them w.r.t. using their pictures?

It must have been a bugger to control! I'm well impressed with the effort that was put into the replica. Serious commitment there.....

I'd be happy with a bog-standard 3SW!

Nah forget Morton's Bruce. I'll get contact details for the guy who's bike it is. He has the original pictures....like the ones in the mag I can't find. Ron

Photobucket

Cheers Ron.

That machine is awfully pretty!

On a different tack, I was scuffling about on the net and saw a picture of an RE WC belonging to one Bill Tipping who apparently has an interesting collection.

The caption indicates that the WD/C is in original condition. Do you know anything about this machine? I'd be curious to know if this was still factory paint on the bike.

Bruce I've heard of Bill and his collection, but I personally know nothing about him or his bikes.

Ron

Hi Bruce and Ron,

Here's the old article:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here are the Bill Tipping Royal Enfields:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

If you need to contact Bill for anything you can contact him through Mersey Motorcycles in Liverpool

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thanks for that Jan. I'm blooming annoyed that I can't find my magazine. I'm waiting for Sean's email address to pass to Bruce. Then at least he can do an extensive article for the SA Triumph owners.

I remember speaking to Bill once, now that Dave mentioned his Liverpool location. He was advertising for an early pattern rear carrier for a 3HW. Ron

Guys, what can I say!

Thanks so much for the input. Amazing how much I actually don't know...... (Embarrassing really)

The theme for the next South African Triumph Owner's Club newsletter is well and truly defined! I sometimes wonder if my limited readership gets pi**ed off with my unashamed bias towards military mounts. Well, if they don't like it, they can always take over the job of Editor!

Thanks again.

Bruce

Nieuwe pagina 1