Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crank truing (was handlebar vibration)

For those following my previous posts trying to sort out excessive(?) handlebar vibration, while the piston and barrel were off I did some "in-place" crank truing just to measure what I could without dismantling the big end. Here's what I found:

Flywheels seem pretty true. No left/right play between the wheels, though both wheels do have 0.004" left/right play relative to the case. That is, both wheels simultaneously shift left and right together, but only .004". Up and down play is also uniform. There is a total of .003" up and down play relative to the case, but the high and low points are the same for both wheels. Last, when pulling up on the rod I measured zero bearing play on the drive side, and 0.001" play on the timing side.

I know all of this is a little questionable doing it in place and not on a lathe, but I was glad to find there doesn't seem to be any major play and the wheels seem neearly true. Any comments? I'm putting her back together and getting back on the road before summer is gone!

Craig

email (option): cpdoberstein@gmail.com

Re: Crank truing (was handlebar vibration)

All sounds acceptable to me, don't forget these things are near 70 years old and in the past will have been apart a few times. Its all down to how they have been taken apart to how they go back together.
You are right stick it back together and enjoy what is left of the summer, try some thicker gloves!
Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Re: Crank truing (was handlebar vibration)

The readings don't sound untoward, so if you're happy with it, then just put it together. It wasn't wasted time, because at least you now know the condition of the components.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1