Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for Ian- D Day 70th Anniversary

Ian, would an impressed 1940 AJS with C numbers on it be allowed to take part in the 70th anniversary or will it need to be painted green? Cheers John

Re: Question for Ian- D Day 70th Anniversary

Hi John..Motorcycles for 2014 must be 'WW2 WD Machines manufactured by an allied nation and presented in a military specification (finish)'....
It is neccessary to 'draw a line in the sand' on this to avoid having machines which, to any less informed observer just look like civilian bikes, WD machines in civilian finishes..which effectively are the same and BMW outfits or similar which are supposedly 'captured' machines or a pre war supply to an allied nation..etc. etc. I was particularly annoyed at the appearance of the two 'German' outfits on D Day last time..Niether had booked on to the tour and would have been rejected at that point if they had tried to and no member of the public would have appreciated the 'subtlties' of why they were there (even if it was true) ...Ian

Thanks Ian, comments noted. JT

So, although the Royal navy did not bother to repaint some of their machinery in battle ship grey or whatever colour was available within a military guise, these civilian machines are not allowed.

That brigs on the next question on: although the RAF both pre-war and post war used to have bliue painted/sprayed motorcycles, it looks like WWII RAF motor Cycles never came in a RAF blue colour, at least during the war.
But more and more WD-machines seem now to be finished in a sort of RAF blue: how are we to regard these? For the average onlooker, they are military, but to some anoraks they are more wrong than some of the impressed machines.

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

I would have thought we all understand what is meant (and intended) by the description 'a military finish'...and I was rather hoping that description would be sufficient to adequately describe what is eligible and what is not for 2014...
Apparently not...so I will ensure a more detailed description is included in the paperwork when it is prepared.
Eligibility criteria have been refined for 2014 as it was clear the interpretation of 'WW2 Allied forces WD motorcycles' meant in some peoples view German sidecar outfits and bikes in civilian finishes.
That was entirely outside the intent and remit of the event and changes are to be made to avoid a repeat of that situation.
The eligibility rules are not being proposed as a basis for further debate..that debate has already taken place amongst the tour organisers and the boundaries have been defined...So there are no 'questions' about the broad criteria.
However, if anyone feels they are a 'special case' they can put that case to the organisers for consideration at or before the point of 'booking on'...Ian

talking about drawing a line in the sand my sand coloured M20 could be the sand you were looking for would this be allowed and be careful you dont get into the type of nitty gritty of F1 contracts

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Roger..The fewer rules the better as far as I'm concerned. However, if you organise an event like this and you want it to resemble what you intended at the outset, some rules are needed...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1