Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another M20 Restoration in the USA

Hey Guys,

Finally getting around to posting some photographs of my M20 project and I'm hoping that there are still some contract records out there for this machine. Also needing to know what the approximate C number for the tank should be.

I acquired this bike almost two years ago but got sidetracked on the restoration about the time I'd torn everything down. Fortunately I've done restorations before so knew enough to take lots of photos and to bag nuts and bolts with notes as to what assemblies they went with. Slowly but surely it is starting to come back together.

I know the rear seat and mount are not the standard pattern for an M20 but they are what was handy so I'll stay with them for now. Part of the restoration route I'm taking is to migrate from the earlier 1942 look to the later war standard where the bikes had the panniers, new type rear carrier, rear seat, relocated horn smaller headlight and longer kickstand.

email (option): dgordon4@austin.rr.com

Re: Another M20 Restoration in the USA

The tank number would have been C4560231 and it would have look more or less like this bike.

I have emailed you the page from the factory ledgers. Your frame number isn't in the key cards.

Henk

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I really am grateful for the forum and the wealth of information it has provided me thus far in terms of the knowledge base accessed with the search function. And the assistance I've gotten from several of the forum members. Sure easier than reinventing the wheel and making all the mistakes others before me have gone through. Not that I haven't made more than my share of mistakes so far

Wow, the M20 looks like it has fine company in that garage, I'm envious! What is the tracked vehicle in front of the M20? At first pic, I thought "Oh boy the guys are going to tear him a new one" about the paint scheme, but then realized that was a Before picture..
Nice job!

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

The jeep is a 1941 Willys MB done up as the British airborne used them. The tracked vehicle is a 1944 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier configured the way the Canadian's used them in conjunction with the 4.2-Inch Mortars following the Normandy invasion. Both were significantly worse off than the motorcycle when I got them. Not to say the motorcycle didn't have a ton of major jerry-rigged and postwar part issues.

You can see better photos of some of the past restoration projects at the link below. I've also got a Mark I Welbike but no photo page for it. I've had it for about five years but haven't gotten around to it yet.

http://www.visualcollector.com/VisualCollectorLinks/VisualCollectorLinks.htm

David Gordon
The jeep is a 1941 Willys MB done up as the British airborne used them. The tracked vehicle is a 1944 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier configured the way the Canadian's used them in conjunction with the 4.2-Inch Mortars following the Normandy invasion. Both were significantly worse off than the motorcycle when I got them. Not to say the motorcycle didn't have a ton of major jerry-rigged and postwar part issues.

You can see better photos of some of the past restoration projects at the link below. I've also got a Mark I Welbike but no photo page for it. I've had it for about five years but haven't gotten around to it yet.

http://www.visualcollector.com/VisualCollectorLinks/VisualCollectorLinks.htm

I have to take my computer in for repairs now, there's drool all over the screen and keyboard.
Nice collection you have there!

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Books

On the link that David has put up, go to his main page. David has written some very fine books on the WWII Tommy. I have 6 book cases in the house, but I keep 3 of Davids books on the end table in the family room. I pick them up almost every night to read while the Bride watches TV.
Worth the money just for the help on British gear, but for me, they are a great read.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

email (option): normandy@ec.rr.com

Re: Books

Hey Vincent, the carrier actually does double duty representing 43rd Wessex Division on the British side and the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (M.G.) on the Canadian side. I can assure you that it been years of work to get the garage full.

Glad to hear you still enjoy the books Frank. How has your motorcycle restoration be going?

I'm ten steps behind Andrew in the UK and have been walking in his footsteps on the M20 restoration it seems. Every time I do a search on something I'm having problems with, I find where he has already been there and figured it out. Nice to have someone clearing the mines as I go so to speak.

Nieuwe pagina 1