Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
b31 cams

Theo Schipper said what cams did i have in my B31 that will not start after a rebuild i dug the bill out it say fast road from drawing number B212/300/330 is there a gauge that you could check the shape of the cam if not i will take them back and get the engineers who made them to check what they are thank you in advance roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: b31 cams

Hi Roger..Cams used for the B31/33 when tuned are usually one of the Gold Star spec cams.
Goldie cams are stamped with a part number.
Your cams are likely to be either..65-2448 (in) and 65-2450 (ex)...or a pair of 65-2446 scrambles cams.Depending on where they were made they may only be marked with the last two digits..'48' for example instead of the full number 65-2448.
They are set using the same timing marks on the cam as standard cams (dot to dot..dash to dash)
You can do a quick check on the cams by counting how many teeth there are from the top point of the cams lift to the timing mark being used for that cam.(dot or dash) This should be the same as a standard one.
Other than that it is a lengthy process of setting up a degree disc to check the cams opening and closing points etc..However, assuming the cams are marked correctly and set correctly, the bike should run and your problem may well lie elsewhere...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I found without modification Goldy cams cause something to lock up when engine is turned, so put the standard ones back. Too lazy to see if the springs were coil bound or valves hitting the piston.

When fitting goldie cams to a B31 You need to fit goldie springs, as you have found out the B31 springs become coil-bound.

'Touring cams' and 'Scrambles' cams can both be run with the standard valve springs. It is advisable to shorten the tops of the valve guides with the latter. This engine, for example, has 'Scrambles' cams fitted with standard springs and modified guides...IanPhotobucket

Despite the comment in my previous post everything must be checked when putting together non standard engines. There are often 'variables' with pattern valves, worn rocker arms, slight variations in pushrod lengths,different degrees of valve seat cutting in the head, the fitting of valve stem caps originally (in the 350) etc. etc...
So always check the clearance between the guide and the bottom of the spring collar, valve spring coils when fully open and the clearance between the underside of the rocker arm and the top of the valve spring collar.
In Goldie engines the valves don't usually contact the piston..at least not initially. They usually hit each other at or near TDC and then hit the piston. This particularly applies to large valves in the smaller 350 combustion chamber..and applies equally to the B31 if the inlet valve size is increased. The high pre load on Goldie valve springs and the altered crankshaft pinion for the 350 give tighter control of the valves movement and more space at the point where inlet and exhaust valves 'cross over' each other inside the head....
However, this shouldn't be an issue in a relatively mildly tuned B31..particularly at 5,500-5,750 rpm., which is all there will be if the crank hasn't been lightened...I have run an engine with standard springs up to 7,000rpm on the dyno and regularly up to its 6,500rpm maximum power point without any problems. ..Ian

That one's a beauty, Ian.

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Thanks Jeff, It's a 600 with a fair bit of internal modification..Currently racing about the roads in Germany in a plunger special..The owner loves its performance!...Ian

thanks for the information ian and everybody but its a little over my head i didnt want a fast engine just a bit more HP to pull my bulk up hills without changing down to 2nd gear the cam company who recut my cams say on the bill fast road spec i did ask for touring cams work has come to a halt at the moment transporting a relation and family who come from spain for the olympics wish i had got someone build the engine for me it been over 3 years and since i retired i dont have the time or inclination to do the work now days

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1