Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
thorspark

thorspark or not to spark that is the qustion are these things any good or is it nobeler in the mind to have the mag rebuilt

Re: thorspark

Personally, I'd sort the mag out than convert it to coil ignition. No worries about batteries etc, just kick and go.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I think it's easier to keep a Lucas magneto going then a 6v dc Lucas dynamo to keep the thorspark going. I'll stick with magneto ignition for sure.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Got to say my thoughts mirror exactly those of Henk...You'de be mad to tie your ignition to the dynamo/ regulator set up.
A properly reconditioned mag will still give years of reliable sparks...
Electronic ignitions for our bikes are a 'non starter'.. ...until they are produced as a self generating unit in my opinion...and even then there is an argument for retaining the mag if it works OK and spares are available..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I use electronic ignition on later (alternator) bikes but never have or will consider it for my bikes that have Mags.

If a magneto setup is good enough for light airplanes and for the Centurion tank,
It must be good for BSA.

I like the setup in which you only need some fuel to make it go,
Even if you cut every single wire on the bike and use an empty can as a spacer to replace the dymano..

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

yes i think your probaly right il get the mag sorted thanks anyway

is this the electronic mag you are talking about

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I see the 'Thorspark' still utilises the manual adv/rtd facility on an M01...So it doesn't have one of the main features that could be regarded as an improvement over the M01...an electronically variable adv/rtd curve. As it isn't self generating either and relies on the original dynamo charging system for power, which itself is less reliable than a mag, it is hard to see the point of it...
I particularly dislike disinformation in the selling of a product as well...They say they have never had a reconditioned mag last more than a year..Either that is a blatant lie (as it completely misrepresents the performance of most rebuilt magnetos), or they get them 'reconditioned' by the local clown.. ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

And from their blurb, why would a magneto be full of oil?

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Matty, Depending on how the timing chest entry hole is sealed, it can pump (breath) oil into a mag over time & that oil wont drain out, it is something that a few people over the years have experienced.
But like Ian says, a recon mag that lasts a year is little more than a warranty return item.
Ive never had a mag fail myself, put stuff like that in your add & your entire company comes into question.

Nieuwe pagina 1