Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear View Mirrors on WD Bikes

I'm going to add a rear view mirror to my Matchless. I use the bike every day and it will be a safety item, not a pointless bolt on extra. I've got a very nice early military green one which will fit nicely and look the part, but I just wondered if there was any historical evidence for WD bikes having rear view mirrors? I can't find any images showing mirrors on wartime bikes, so when did they come in and did the military ever use them?

Re: Rear View Mirrors on WD Bikes

Only Indians as far as I know. Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for that Ron, lovely bike, but it just creates another question, why just Indians?

I don't know Bill. As one of the major producers of American motorcycles at the time, I suppose they just had their way of doing things.....like a left hand throttle.
I can't remember any mirrors being fitted as standard to any British bikes until after the Jap bikes came in.
Perhaps someone can put me right on that Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I believe you are right Ron, I don't remember mirrors as standard on bikes in the early 60's.
Perhaps military bikes did not have mirrors because of the possible reflection of moonlight? Cars,Vans or Lorries had mirrors that would stay pretty much vertical but a bike leaning into a bend could flash in the moonlight and signal inadvertantly to enemy aircraft......

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

That could be true Sir Ewok? It's the sort of thing they would think of. As you say, just about everything else had mirrors right from day one, so there must be a reason why they never caught on with bikes. My main reason for wanting to 'retro-fit' a mirror is that I was riding happily along on Sunday and suddenly right from behind me, I get an ambulance siren right in the ear! I had no idea he was there until he was on me.

There is certainly photographic evidence that the Canadians in particular sometimes retro-fitted mirrors during late 1944 - 1945 but they were something of a law unto themselves in more ways than one...

This chap seems to have been a mod in the making :-

'ow many 'ooters ?

Photobucket

The fact that the blackout mask has been modified to permit more light makes it a fairly late photo. If the horns are white, as they look then presumably he is a military policeman.

I'm not sure if he has moved the cvc box to the drive side or perhaps it is a second one with an extra dynamo hidden away somewhere ? I can't quite work out how a 35w dyno can run that lot.

Another, slightly less extreme example :-

Photobucket

Yep, Crazy Canucks, that's us ;)
One of the other more famous peculiar habits of the Canadian DR's was to sit on the back section of the tank, wartime photos sometimes show the paint worn off the rear of the tank. Why has never been fully explained.
A friend of mine once told me the craziest Canadian riders came from Quebec- in the60's he was an Enduro rider competiting in the Nationals, the start of each race the Quebecers would tear off ahead, only to be found at the first water hole picking their bikes out of the mud. No Fear...they would soon catch up to the pack,pass them again, only to be found balls deep at the next water hole again..
As for mirrors, in my province it is a legal requirement, not sure when it came into law but all motorcycles must have at least one mirror.
Vincent

Rik
There is certainly photographic evidence that the Canadians in particular sometimes retro-fitted mirrors during late 1944 - 1945 but they were something of a law unto themselves in more ways than one...

This chap seems to have been a mod in the making :-

'ow many 'ooters ?

Photobucket

The fact that the blackout mask has been modified to permit more light makes it a fairly late photo. If the horns are white, as they look then presumably he is a military policeman.

I'm not sure if he has moved the cvc box to the drive side or perhaps it is a second one with an extra dynamo hidden away somewhere ? I can't quite work out how a 35w dyno can run that lot.

Another, slightly less extreme example :-

Photobucket

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

What a fabulous photo! If you turned up at the War & Peace show with your bike covered in hooters, mirrors and lights like that, they'd think you were mad!

Could he be using a mobile phone as well?
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

i have a mirror on my M20 i am not sure whether they are good or bad because all i seem to see is the idiot who are driving a foot behind me would it be best not to know what is going on behind you

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I don't have mirrors and just look behind when I want to manoeuvre. I would rather not know what was behind me..... Artic anybody

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

I find most threats are in front of me and tend to concentrate more on that area....I've only been rear ended once in 40 years or so and seeing it coming wouldn't have stopped it..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Harley WLA's had a mirror and a special extension piece to put them further out. I think they were standard fitment on them from the factory, how long they lasted in use is another story!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1