Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting a big single by hand

I couldn't believe this. I had the valve clearance shimmed on my Manx, and I wasn't looking forward to bumping it up and down the road on a hot day. The bloke said I'll just start it on the stand by hand, and he put a rubber band around the throttle and put it in full advance to do it..!

If this will start with 10 to 1 compression, a side valve should start easily.

Have a look

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Starting a big single by hand

Sorry dave

Can't see owt ???

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Looks good to me. I'll try it on my M20. Might have to remove the mudguard tail end though. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The cylinder filling on a Manx is a bit more efficient than on a side valve. Mind you, racers are odd people. Pull the bike back against compression and with two steps, the thing fires up. If I try to bump the Commando then despite jumping on the saddle, it just leaves a black line from the locked-up back wheel.

Oh I don't know why you can't see it John..?

Ah Yes, the mudguard might cause a problem on most bikes.
Yes, that's it Rik. In 1st gear, wheel backwards until compression and one big swing, but I would have retarded the ignition a bit. He said he's locked his racing Manx mag at full advance and taken the lever off. I won't be doing that.

It still took me 3 attempts at bumping it when I got home, but the same principle applies. In 1st and backwards on compression, run like mad and dump the clutch. I didn't even sit on the bike. 1st gear spins the engine enough to give it a good chance. But be ready to pull the clutch in when it fires or the bike could be off down the road without you

I must say that's not how I usually bump a bike. I usually use 2nd gear and run like mad

In the U.S. watching the 500cc alcohol burning speedway bikes in the 1980's, they were all started by the same method.

email (option): jrosson86@att.net

Hi Joe, My mate told me that speedway bikes were started like this. What surprised me was having it in full advance, you'd have to get your hand out the way quick in case it spat back.
Not something I'd seen before

Nieuwe pagina 1