Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
grease in a gearbox?

I was talking to a bloke with an old DKW and he said that the correct lubricant for his gearbox was a very thin lightweight grease, I have to take his word for this as these bikes are outside my experience. Point is, is the BSA gearbox a likely candidate for the same treatment? I can see both advantages and disadvantages for this, but more plus points than negative if the box is of a suitable design to handle it. Grease packed gearboxes are common enough in other situations. Over to the mechanical experts!

email (option): cruiserchooser AT hotmail.co.uk

Re: grease in a gearbox?

i sometimes use 00 grease in gearboxes and diffs that don`t have gaskets. i was told its like the thickest oil and thinest grease,cheers

Hi btb

I recently put a sealed bearing in the gercase and although I had other issues with bike, I went over and back to france with no visible change in oil level - approx 450 miles this year

Grease was not recommended by BSA to my knowledge, so oil is best, keeping it in there is the problem, so grease becomes an easy solution to a gercase removal/bearing replacement

For what it is worth, my advice would be, to bite the bullet, change the bearing and use oils as recommended

Although not completely cured of oil leaks, primary still weeps oil a bit, I can park it now without too many concerns of oil puddles and constant oil level checks

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

This was debated a while ago.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1226292&cmd=show

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the pointer Ron. I missed that thread first time around.
Duncan

email (option): cruiserchooser AT hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1