Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heat resistant paint

Hi fellas
I have asked Ian this question ,but I thought I would throw it out there, can anyone tell me what heat resistant paint to buy for my head and barell ,in gloss if poss, I have tried pot belly black but that just burnt straight off my B50t silencer, Anyone in Australia would be good
Cheers

email (option): Markbrob1@hotmail.com

Re: Heat resistant paint

Well any paint should stay on your silencer! A silencer shouldn't even get as hot as the average household radiator.
The best heat resistant paint that I have come across is 'PJ1' It's getting harder to obtain here in UK because the label on the can doesn't fully meet our H&S standards. (I expect it doesn't say "Don't spray it in your eyes"??).
Anyway I have found nothing that will stay long on an M20 barrel and exhaust top bend especially in that exhaust port area. I just keep touching mine up with a little brush and a tin of Pot Black. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

None of the matt paints will really stay on, a pretty cheap alternative is to use the barbeque paints from the likes of B&Q

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi Mark..I've tried all sorts and never found a paint that lasts..particularly if you ride the bike in wet weather. Ceramic coating would probably survive..but in the UK you have to take out a mortgage to have it done..I have noticed it is far cheaper in the States..but then most things are there.
I should mention that I generally have the barrels blasted to remove every trace of rust, dirt etc. but it doesn't help particularly.
I just repaint mine every so often like Ron.. ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks fellas
I have been doing some googling and found some ceramic coatings here $95.00 for 500ml they reckon it goes to 850c, I might try that, I will have the barells sandblasted first anyway just to give better adhesion

This is the stuff I've used. It's the best but still burns off after a while. But a lot cheaper than the ceramic stuff. Ron

http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/PJ1-Motorcycle-Lubricants-and-Paint/PJ1-Flat-Black-Exhaust-Paint-H--2790

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

On my exhaust I used Plastikote
(http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Idea/icode---5262)
The bike has been wet plenty of times, ridden on the beech, and it still looks ok

Hi Mark
I have used a POR15 product called Black velvet. It is cured by heat (180 degrease). I painted mine 2 coats then place it in a hooded BBQ and slowly brought the temp up. You know the rules about the BBQ. You are not allowed to use the barby with out a cold beer.

I use a lot of the POR 15 products for restoration work

www.por15.com

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Pot belly stove / black stove dealers stck good ranges of black heat resistant paint

I use paint called stovax with good results although it does "grey " a little after a while

Supplied in an aerosol, its easy to apply

Made in Exeter I believe !!

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

There is a post I made a couple years back about heat paint. I used this brand...
http://www.vhtpaint.com/
It's the best in my opinion. I am running a bead blasted stainless exhaust now, but my old steel exhaust had this satin finish VHT paint and the alloy head I have now is using VHT and it hasn't peeled or burnt off in over 1000 miles.

This VHT stuff comes in almost every flavor including clear and satin finish. They even have a cast iron colored paint and flame proof paints.

I highly recommend this stuff.

BeSt regArds,
Eric

email (option): BSAWM20@gmail.com

Thank,i have looked at POR and VHT those were two I was going to find out more about and yes you certaily do need a cold beer with BBQ

Nieuwe pagina 1