Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
100 year old despatch bike, and log book manufacturing date sorted

Two things; Firstly, have been riding around today on a 100 year old bike, or very nearly 100 years old.

It was a 1915 Triumph Model H that was "despatched" to France soon after it was built. Am trying to piece some history together for a feature or video or something. It's been civilianised, and takes a bit of getting used to (three speed hand change, no front brake to speak of (stirrup type), air lever, throttle lever, advance and retard, and a slipping belt. But sounded lovely, healthy compression, and burbles along. Makes my M20 look sophisticated.

Amyone out there own any WW1 military bikes with pics to share?

Also, the DVLA have sent me my new log book, as promised. Still shows 1968 as the "First registered" dates, but the Special Notes section reads: "Was registered and/or used, declared manufactured 1945". Quote unquote.

Looks straightforward enough, and might even satisfy a Post Office clerk.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: 100 year old despatch bike, and log book manufacturing date sorted

Well done on the DVLA bit, Danny. I've heard several favourable stories lately so apparently they are dealing with honest cases appropriately.

Lex has a P&M that saw RFC service but I believe that he's wallowing in the Kentish mud this weekend.

There is a WW1 motorcycles thread running on HMVF at the moment and Lex has posted a picture of himself there.

Thanks, Rik. I'll check it out.

I was just about to post a link - I never dare to leave uncompleted messages on this board as Bravenet eats 'em.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15463-WW1-DR-motorcycles

I think that you might need to be registered to see the pictures.

Rik, thanks again. And you're right, I will need to log in, which I'll do this evening.

Nieuwe pagina 1