Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Log book anomaly sorted

I've finally got a reply from the DVLA regarding the dating anomaly on my log book - and no doubt on many other log books.

My WM20 was first registered in 1968 (British Army release date), but was manufactured in 1945. For MOT purposes, it's technically soon to be exempt being manufactured pre-1960; as per the government's new directive.

However, it doesn't say on the log book (V5C) that it was manufactured in 1945 (although that information is held elsewhere on the DVLA database). That could cause problems at the post office when trying to obtain a (free) tax disc.

Today I received an email confirming that the department recognises the anomaly and will be sending me a new log book with the 1945 date (probably in the special notes section at the bottom).

There is a specific address to write to:

Business Change and Support (Vehicles)
Longview Road
Swansea
SA99 1ZZ

If you need to drop a name, Byron Lewis at the DVLA is fully cognisant of the problem.

The email doesn't say that there's a specific process or procedure to rectify this problem, except by writing. So I suppose these things will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. But if you've got a similar problem, I suggest you act now while the left hand of the DVLA appears to know what the right hand is doing.

That said, they were obviously helpful and keen to sort it out, so score a point for British bureaucracy.

The bottom line is that your log book should show the first registered date and the manufactured date (if those dates are different). But we'll have to see exactly how the department handles this.

If you've got any other info or insights, please pass them on.

Lastly, here's a significant paragraph taken direct from the email:

In light of changes being introduced in November surrounding pre-1960 vehicles no longer requiring a mandatory MOT, you may either tax your vehicle at a Post Office® using the latest issued V5C along with a V112 Declaration of exemption from MoT testing; or alternatively you can tax on-line via the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) website where the system will automatically recognise when a vehicle is pre-1960.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: Log book anomaly sorted

Thanks for the update Danny. I'm currently waiting for the dating certificate for my M20 which is also 1968 registered. A perusal of the DVLA data base shows they have it down as manufactured in the same year as well...
I'll use the address you have given when I send off the paperwork and post the results..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Log book anomaly sorted

I,ve Just taxed one of my B33s as this bike was stored for 40 plus years The previous owner didnt update the old RF60 logbook and he couldnt find RF60 book when I bought bike,after a bit of juggling I managed to retain original reg but they issued a V5C dating registration as 2011,the original RF60 book has since been found and I took this along with me when I changed taxation class to historic to get my tax disc and got the lady to photocopy it and send it of with my V5C,now have to wait to see if they actually change original reg date to suit old book!My WM20 also has a 1964 registration date this I will change at a later date. Dave.

Nieuwe pagina 1