Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Girder fork adjustment

Is there a specific recommended clearance for the girder fork link adjustments? I was thinking if I tighten the bolts snug, then back off about 1/10 of a turn, should give me about .004" clearance. (26tpi bolt= .040 per 1 turn).
Should I allow more clearance than that? 10-20 thou maybe?
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Girder fork adjustment

Hi Vincent..The basic principle is to tighten the link bolts and then back them off for minimul clearance..So in principle what you are saying is correct. However, in practice things are not usually that straight forward...
On most M20s the fork links have been misadjusted or incorrectly used to restrict fork movement, not for clearance adjustment. In other words they have been run too tightly adjusted. This results in wear of the end faces of the top yoke, bottom yoke and the corresponding side faces of the fork legs. So, if the yokes and legs are different widths at the top and bottom it is no longer possible to adjust them accurately.
For example, if you adjust the top yoke link bolt correctly but the fork leg at the other end of the top link is narrower, you then can't adjust that link bolt correctly.
To further compound the problem one side can be more worn than the other and in that event you can't possibly have correct alignment of the fork link and correct adjustment.
As a result, without getting into major repair and machine work the best compromise that can be achieved is to set up the clearances so that none of the link bolts are overtightened and none of the clearances are too small. In that case though you are likely to also have clearances at some point in the assembly that are larger than is ideal....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

1/10th of a turn might not be enough. I do each link in turn and just make sure the forks bounce each time. Ron

PS Typing together Ian. Mine is the shortened version

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

there was talk on this forum about putting thin bronze spacers/washers between the forks and link

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I have done just that Roger. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1