Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying to understand my Dad's service record

After a year of waiting my Dad's service record arrived today - just one problem though - I'm having trouble decoding it.
I can see that he's RASC and had been posted to 515 COY, as well as others, but I have no idea if that's within RASC?
I'm also guessing that his misbehaving resulted with him being placed on Y List?

It would seem that searching the internet for Companies, abreviations, etc, provides little in the way of leads and any help with working-out his army life would be gratefully recieved.

The bigger documents are A3 sized so have been scanned in 2 parts with the first 2 being one doc and the second 2 the next. The last 2 are the smaller sized ones.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Trying to understand my Dad's service record

Lee, the 'Y' List simply means that he had been hospitalised for a period exceeding 21 days and once on the 'Y' list could be posted to another unit once he was fit again. It looks as if he was posted to a holding battalion.

The civil motoring offences will take some sorting out. Do you know what he did ? Wheelying an M20 down Tonbridge High Street ?

I knew nothing of the motoring offences until today and have tried Google-ing them but can't find a thing at the mo.
The only info I had previously was my Mum telling me that he trained DR's at some point and my Dad mentioning 'buggering' his knee after a lorry hit him whilst on convoy.

The knee injury is the patella disability which caused him to be invalided out.

It would probably require a trip to the National Archives to sort out the old motoring convictions.

Part 2 of the old 1930 RTA seems to have related to insurance and the Road vehicles order of 1940 will be the Defence Emergency Powers which let them do just about what they wanted.

I'd suspect that he was using a vehicle that he shouldn't have been, maybe because it had no fuel coupons and which wasn't insured.

It was clearly dealt with entirely by the civil courts and didn't stop them viewing his military service as 'Very Good'

By the way, he did indeed remain with RASC and the 'T' prefix to his number indicates 'Transport'. He does seem to have been mostly attached to training units. Was he a driver pre-war ?

His Attestation form gives his trade as Motor Driver so I guess he was a driver pre-war.
My Mum also mentioned that he was in the AFS before joining the Army - maybe he was a driver with the Fire Service?

I'm also trying to mark my M20 in a similar fashion to what my Dad would have ridden - any idea what the best bet would be? As long as it's not realted to Tonbridge Civil Courts though...

Lee, I see that your father was injured on 30th May 1944. By this time, 701 (Infantry) Div Transport Coy. had become 701 Army Transport Coy and in fact they went to France, probably around July 1944 as far as I can see, as part of 2nd Army. It would seem that his injury was what prevented him seeing any overseas service.

I can't pin down which Arm of Service serial they used. There seem to have been at least six Army Tpt. Coys and I can only find serials for two.

Prior to that, he spent a lot of time with No. 1 Holding Battalion who were based at Oulton Park.

He seems to have moved south as 148 Infantry Training Brigade were at Wrotham.

As far as I can tell, they wore an 'NM' badge (although this wouldn't have appeared on motorcyles by 1943) and the RASC company would have carried the number '118' on a diagonal red / green background.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30072750

These war diaries at the National Archive might help your understanding of what the unit was doing.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=1076175&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=WO+166%2F13177

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=5457139&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=WO+171%2F2511

Thanks Rick, I'd come to a bit of a dead-end with my limited knowledge and now have some great new info to work with. I've ordered the Archive docs on 701.

Is the info you've kindly given also available from the National Archives?

Nieuwe pagina 1