Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Latest from Amal.

Last night I went on the Amal website as if to buy a new carb for my G3. Did all the usual password , user name, phone, address, mums name etc. Only to see if they had one in stock!! Before I pressed the key to confirm payment. It told me that it was in stock and be delivered by next day. So I cancelled my on line purchase and drove the 30 miles to 'Spitfire House' today.

"No sir not in stock" What the F**k. " No sir, you would then have received an email telling you that we won't take your card payment until the carb is in stock"
10-14 days if the parts are in stock to build one or maybe 2-3-6 months if they are waiting for stock to arrive.
I did calm down and have a pleasant chat with the bloke though. It seems there are quite a lot of pattern parts around Jets/needles/slides/idle screws etc (no surprise there). But all genuine Amal parts are correctly machined and flow tested. So I just bought as many new parts as I could to rebuild my already refurbed carb. Total £37 instead of the £270 I intended to spend. I hope it does the trick.
Anyone thinking of buying a new carb is adviced to phone/email Amal before hand. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Latest from Amal.

You are Mr Angry from Dorset Ron

I would always buy new amal parts if possible. It's good that they're making parts for these old carbs, so if we don't buy from them, they'll stop and we'll have dodgy pattern parts instead. It's what we're always talking about here, you might pay a bit more for the proper item, but it's worth it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I was more angry about their website. Bloody complicated for an old git like me. They even admit they need to change it by using another website firm. They were very sheepish at first as I think they had heard my complaints more than once from other old gits. Ron

They should know better Ron. I doubt that anyone apart from old gits buy 276 parts !

One of the difficulties in buying genuine is that there seem to be a number of reputable suppliers who have non-Burlen parts in their inventories. This is perhaps not surprising as ten years ago, there were no genuine parts for 276s apart from old stock so they had to sell what they could get, or have made.

Isn't it about time that they started making stay-up floats for the remote float chambers ?

I too have recently had the same problem with stock listed, only to be told that they weren't in stock and no firm delivery date, It isn't that good really since they only have to ensure stock levels on about 10 types of carburettors, I suspect what happens is that they don't order enough and as soon as they come back into stock dealers over order them compounding the problem! I ended up buying a Wassells carb (that was a concentric) and theirs worked fine straight from the box.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

That is the very reason Wassell invested in remanufacturing the concentric from scratch..The chap at Wassells told me they had constant problems getting the parts consistently from Amal.
Wassel also indicated that if the concentric was a success for them they would look at the other Amal types...Perhaps it is the time for Amal to raise their game now that they have some competition...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The nice man at Amal explained to me that they are in the hands of machine shops! For instance my friend Huntmaster Graham has had a Monoblock on order with them since Feb. He came with me today to chase his carb. They are waiting for a firm to CNC a batch of Monoblock jet blocks.... "You must realise that these firms have to stop there normal production to do a batch of 50-100 items" What a load of bollocks!! There are thousands of small engineering firms who would be happy to oblige.....I even asked my local firm today, who said..."no problem, bring them on" Ron

I got caught out the same when I went to Burlen Fuels a few weeks ago to get a new carb, only to be told they didnt have any in stock.
This morning I phoned Hitchcocks, who said they had one in stock and would get it jetted to my reguirments by the time I rode there to collect it.
True to their word, they did.
I fitted it, spent 5 minuetes setting the pilot and slow running, and it has transformed the bike.
No more popping in the exaust, spitting back, lovely tickover, and so much more responsive to the twistgrip.
Its just not worth the bother of trying to get clapped out carbs working with spares of doubtfull origin

I've just tried to order some parts on line but the drop-down menu for delivery options didn't work and it wouldn't let me order without it. I suppose that I'll have to phone them.

Nieuwe pagina 1