Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm half retarded

The mag advance cable on my magneto seems to be stuck about half way and I can't get the plunger to release from the cam. Am I missing something to release it? I've unscrewed the sleeve from the mag but can't get the cable unhooked at the bottom. Help!!

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: I'm half retarded

Hi Vincent,

If the cable is not stuck and holding the plate from rotating back,
There is an option that the secure rivet stuck from the bottom
Or the cam secure ring is missing or miss positioned.

I would unscrew the 4 screws holding the timing end of the mag and have a look of it out.

At photo, finger is indicating rivet,
secure washer/spring tip it just above points retainer screw.

Photobucket

Good luck,

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

BTW,

You can also be missing the return spring on the adjuster neck, or have short / weak / wrong one.
and of course-it all need to be very lightly greased..

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Unless something serious has happened like Naom suggests. You should be able to pull on the cable to get the wine glass shaped fitting up far enough to expose the slot that the cable nipple is slotted into. Try some WD40 on the cam plate. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Vincent..I would remove the contact breaker block and cam, clean up the cam and housing and lightly grease the back of the cam before installing it again.
To remove the contact breaker block undo the screw that retains the 'moving' contact breaker and remove it. Fold back the locking tabs on the washer that secures the central contact breaker assembly retaining screw and remove the screw. The contact breaker assembly is located in position by an extension on the rear face that engages the end of the armature. With the screw removed 'rocking' and pulling the contact braker assembly by hand will generally release it.
You now have access to the camplate. This is retained by a copper plated spring ring with an eye in one end. Prise this out of its groove using a small screwdriver or similar in the eye of the spring ring. You will now be able to extract the cam plate which should be a loose fit in the mag body.
Once the cam is removed, moving the plunger that the end of the cable is fitted into will be an easy task.
Lubricate the plunger and rear face of the cam with light grease on reassembly and put a couple of drops of oil on the small felt 'wick' that you will see on the rear face of the contact breaker block. Ensure the block is correctly reseated in the end of the armature before retightening the central retaining screw...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1