Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wheel bearing adjustment,front

Had no issues with the rear wheel adjustment, but what a fight at the front. How do you hold the axle and the sleeve nut tight tight while tightening the locknut? (new nut thanks to Henk). Seems like a 3-hand job, every time I nipped up the locking nut, it twisted the sleeve nut tighter and tightened the bearings too tight. AAAArgh !! Any tips?

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Wheel bearing adjustment,front

I clamp the opposite end of the spindle in a soft jaw vice and then I'm free to adjust the bearing with two spanners. (a thin one on the inner nut). With the wheel clamped horizontally in a vice, it's also easy to spin it and feel the free play. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I use Rons method and have ground a spanner down to the required thickness for this job, as standard spanners are too thick..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ron Pier
I clamp the opposite end of the spindle in a soft jaw vice and then I'm free to adjust the bearing with two spanners. (a thin one on the inner nut). With the wheel clamped horizontally in a vice, it's also easy to spin it and feel the free play. Ron

Thanks Ron and Ian, I was going to do just that but thought there must be a different method, seems a bit cumbersome and certainly not an "in-the field" adjustment.

Hi Vincent.
I used Rons method and found a cone spanner for push bike and ground to size.These cone spanners are quite thin.
Cheers Drew

email (option): bronte.nolan@bigpond.com

I think Henk might have the correct spanner on his parts for sale page? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1