Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do I fill my greasegun?

I have one of the brass tubular push type greaseguns that came in the original tool kit, and need to refill it.
How is this accomplished I've still got some of the straight type grease nipples that need the non-zerk type filling end.
Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: How do I fill my greasegun?

Usually you would need to pull the spring with gun piston back all the way,
Fill the grease and then close the gun.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

There is no spring in this type of grease gun. You have to unscrew the end piece with the spout and fill it up as much as you can without getting any air in the grease Once it's full you screw the cap back on and tap with the gun on your hand or a piece of wood until all grease is at the spout side of the grease gun. Usually it will start working again but I can be a little difficult to get all the air out.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

After putting the grease in I hold the gun upright, then use a braising rod (or similar thin rod), with an up and down motion to assist the air to the top. Then keep topping the air space up until the gun is complely filled.

I would consider filling with a kitchen type piping bag with a nozzle long enough to reach the bottom & fill as you withdraw the nozzle.
Uing grease in the kind of gun used for mastic would be very easy if you were filling them regularly.

MAC tools do a little non zerk type grease gun that fills via pulling a piston back, maybe it would be worth just keeping the brass one for show and getting one of these types

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

.... & cakes are tasting better I reckon

Had a quick look at a couple of mine & noticed a difference, some with holes, some without...

when you buy a tin of grease there is a lid inside with hole in put your grease gun over the hole and press down this should inject air free grease into the gun

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

That's how I do my workshop g.guns, I was fascinated when my dad showed me that as a boy, castrol made the hole in my LM tub smaller than the brass grease gun though so you would have to place a reducer over the hole.

That's a good way of doing it. So the holes in the end of your grease gun is to let the air out when you do this. The other might trap the air.

I just got in a mess when I filled mine, and my other gun with a chain on a strong spring was like a comedy show trying to fill it. I ruined a T shirt and shot grease across the garage.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Horror, I had one of those and could never fill the bloody thing properly. I splashed out and bought a more expensive gun that takes grease cartridges...Simple.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1