Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website picture

now that's the way a classic bike should be: UNRESTORED and beautiful!!!!!!!!

Re: Website picture

Eh?...Abused, neglected and buggered up more like! ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Time and nature have left their traces, so it be

Amen!

Yeah Yeah! Just fix the broken bits and call the rest 'PATINA' Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm thinking of pushing my B33 into the village pond and leaving it there till next spring...in the whacky world of old motorcycles it will probably add a few hundred to its value ... ...Ian

Ian, I thought the correct BSA term would be "Plunge" .....

Is there not some room for middle ground here, if every part of a bike is found to be unuseable, & will be replaced with a serviceable part, could it not be argued that rather than that thing end up as a box of useless rusty bits, it could be left as kind of art ? ?
There will come a time when no more "original" wrecks are found.

My sentiments entirely Fred. Just let the plants grow through it as a garden ornament. Ron

Broken Fins

Could anyone who's ever broken fins on an engine (especially more than one and not in a road traffic accident), tell me just how the f**k it's possible ?

I've been bodging around with engines since my mid teens and I started knowing absolutely nothing but even at that young age, it was obvious that inserting a pry-bar at a cylinder joint or pounding a finned component with a hammer clearly couldn't be a good thing.

Strangely, there are people all over the world capable of doing it and they seem to have no shame in sharing photos of their handywork ?

Re: Broken Fins

The usual way is to use a ring spanner on head bolts instead of the required box or socket spanner. Ron

Hi Rik, I caught one on a brand new M20 cylinder head whilst tightening the head bolts...I should have used that extension bar ...It was just before leaving for France and I didn't like to look scruffy 'on parade' so I glued it back on with some liquid metal..That worked fine until I got home and did a proper repair job...I still get annoyed thinking about my carelessness...Ian

I got annoyed once after agreeing a price over the phone & traveling 160 miles for an engine that had been described verbally to me as having no fin damage after I had specifically asked about fins, only on arrival to immediately see one missing & one chipped fin.
The Guy said "oh, I didn't really look" I love people like that.

Yep! My M20 also has a brand new head on it. I bead blasted it and painted it. Then as I carried into my workshop, the door handle went up my sleeve and a I dropped it. Three broken and now repaired fins. Bugger!!

Ron

90% of the exhisting m20's are the same, they all look like new ones (fitted together with replica parts). how boring is that?

I have 2 broken fins on the cylinder, a few broken off the head. Came into my possession like this.
It's an ex-military bike, they obviously were shot off in service!

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

I'm sure you're right Vincent! Probably being ridden by David Niven during his time with 'Phantom Signals'

Ron

Hi Ron, Don't forget they had door handles during the war also

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1