Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stale fuel

Is 2 or 3 week old fuel in the carb normally an issue?
The bike has done 260 miles since being rebuilt and the last couple of times I've tried to start it, it's flooded slightly without signs of life. I've then drained the carb, dried the plug and it'll go with a bump.
Admittedly, I'm still trying to find the perfect starting position for timing and choke (no choke & retarded at present) and after checking the timing it's slightly advanced if at all.

Any ideas? The mag was done last year and it starts easy when hot which I think eliminates the mag??

If this rain stays away I was toying with the idea of a run to Dunkeswell tomorrow (hangover permitting) and am hoping for a trouble free trip

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Stale fuel

Hi Lee, No problem with fuel of that age...My M20 had stood for a few months before Buckfasliegh while I got round to rebuilding the gearbox and it started OK.
Don't use the choke, hold the carb tickler down for a few seconds but not long enough to have petrol dripping out, keep the throttle close until it fires and then 'catch it' and use as much advance on the lever as you can without it kicking you...Also check your points gap...sometimes they adjust themselves. Set the plug gap to .018" if you haven't already..If you set the adv/rtd lever too retarded it won't want to start..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian. Is the tickler just pressed instead of pumped?

Just got back from a 115 mile round trip to Dunkeswell where I met a few other forum members. My M20 ran ok once running with just a bit of pinking up the steeper climbs as I neared the airfield. Knocking the lever back a bit until I reached the top stopped it but I'll adjust the points and timing as its a touch advanced at the mo.

Hi Lee, I just hold it down for a few seconds...Not enough and it won't richen it enough for a cold start..too much and petrol will be squirting out of the bleed hole..Once you have a method you will soon work out how much 'tickling' suits your particular machine...Needless to say no flooding should be required when the engine is warm..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I knew it was Lee cos of the gleaming paint job.You might want to rejet for high altitude next time!!! As for starting I find the size of audience is the critical factor. Smartest WD bike there by a long way.The as found Matchless had plenty patina, it would bring certain people out in a rash.

Chees Pat

It was good to meet you today Pat and thanks for the compliments re my M20.
Riding to Dunkeswell with just a t-shirt under my jacket seemed like a good idea until I reached the airfield - it's certainly a few degrees cooler up there!
I had to disappear sharpish as I was due at the inlaws for dinner. I thought that leaving at just after 2 would see me there at just after 3 - sadly, I didn't realise just how much after 3 it'd be on the M20...

Nieuwe pagina 1