Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
matchless g3l info needed

hi everyone. is there any chance that any one has any info for a matchless G3L, rigid frame tele forks. frame number: 33114 (this is located near the seat??) engine number: (on the bottom of the barrel) W41 63LE1 and on the metal plate on the crank case part number:41G3L E701, serial number what looks like 100266 could it possibly be a 1942? the geen paint i can se on the bike looks like olive drab
also could i get parts and is there a war time pic of what mine should look like
kind regards
barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Re: matchless g3l info needed

Barry, frame number 33114 is from contract C11102 for 4648 machines in 1941/42.
The number cast into the bottom of the barrel is a part number. I think the metal plate you refer to is for a factory replacement engine, in place of an engine number. See if you can find a copy of 'British Forces Motorcycles 1925-45' on the internet. I would scan some pictures here, but copyright and one of the authors is about a foot taller than me and he's a cop.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

hi ron many thanks, ive got that book, il check it out. i wonder it its on the key cards?
thanks barry

use google images and go matchless g3l there is lots of pictures they may help

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

thanks roger, i have had a look around but im not sure what bikes are right or not.
thanks barry

As far as I know did early G3L engines have the engine number stamped in a steel engine number plate rivetted to the crankcase, never seen brass ones but could be possible.

Photobucket

I don't know after which engine number they switched over to direct stamping of the crankcase.

Photobucket

Regards,
Peter

email (option): peter.siroen@planet.nl

It's like I said before. I think the steel plate is a replacement engine. To my knowledge all original engines were stamped on the crank case at the factory. Ron

i could remove the plate and se if theres a number stamped on the case but it would mean damaging the domed rivets, maybe il leve it as it is.
barry

Also possible Ron, all the engine plates I have seen carried a low engine number.
Isn't it strange that they used numbers for these replacement engines that already had been used?, or was it that in case of fitting new crank cases the original engine number was copied onto an engine plate?

@ Barry: Wartime picture of early contract G3L
Follow link and scroll to second picture
http://forum.ktr.nl/index.php/topic,1020.0.html

I have removed my engine plate to get it plated.
Found no number or traces of machining to remove the original number (if there was one).

Regards,
Peter.

Likewise Peter I have removed one of these plates and found nothing underneath. I think it was Steve Madden who told me that they were fitted to new un-stamped crankcases. I've only ever seen it on Matchless's. I'd leave well alone. I think they look quite nice. Ron

Barry, this is a fairly early G3L and I believe it is part of the contract supplied to the 1st and 6th Airborne Divisions. There is a famous photo of an airborne G3L in this contract with Teepee tents in the background. These early bikes had ribbed mudguards and the rear guard was very short. No doubt some one will be able to post a copy of this photo onto the forum. If it were mine I would collect parts to make it look like the bike in that photo and apply airborne markings to it. I think the C number on the tank of your bike would have been C5692390 or thereabouts. I am away at the moment but will help you with more information when I get home. Cheers John Tinley

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

hi thanks john thats good news, i hope to get some more info
thanks for your help chaps
barry

Hello Chaps, nice to see a proper bike being aired on the premier channel.!!!
I was grateful for 3 x M20,s helping me yesterday on an East Anglian Convoy though...thanks Mike Holmes and pals...

The plate mentioned was fitted to brand new service replacement engines introduced by Matchless in May 1942 after 21500 G3L bikes had been made.The price of the engine was based on quantites ordered ie Hundreds,and were nicely boxed in wooden crates for all forward units...

The numbers on the plate were of a fine font type typically in the 6**** to 9**** range which were merely an extention of Matchless Service departments pre war numbering system.These engines held in storage were still being fitted to bikes in the early to mid 50,s

Once delivered inividual units were known to either remove the plate and stamp the original number onto the virgin crankcase , brutally overstamp the original number or do nothing..subsequent rebuilds over the next 15 years could see further permutations on this theme including adding different brass plates etc.
it is very unlikely to ever find numbers under the plate as only vigin crankcases were used by Matchless.

The service replacement engine was fitted to the earlier G3 models in quantity to update it to the later larger 7/8" crankpin (was 3/4")

Rather suprisingly the engine came complete with carb and Mag fitted AND the Dynamo fitted complete with engine plates, inner primary case with Dynamo chain and sprockets...seems like now people can,t get their heads round Matchless Dynamoes !!!

Hope this helps..

Ed

email (option): edd@abbottracing.com

Thanks for that Ed. My G3 engine seems to have had a plate removed? Ron

Photobucket

Great info Ed, thanks a lot, my own engine plate carries the number 39575, so not in this range 6**** to 9****.

Regards,
Peter

thanks ed. ive took the bike bike apart today ready for a clean, repaint and rebuild. there are a few parts missing, as anyone got any g3l parts on the forum??
would anyone know the headlight size, im thinking 7"??
thanks barry

Barry the headlamp is the standard 6" Lucas DU42.(That's 6" measured inside the rim). Un-plated exhaust systems are available from Armours. What else are you missing?

Ron

Hi Barry, here is the pic John was talking about. It is a bike from C11102, judging by the rear lamp its from Lucas part of the contract.This contract was supplied with both Lucas and Miller equipment.
C11102
At present I am rebuilding a Miller electrics bike from this contract, so I could send you pics of what I have if you like.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

thanks mick thats great.
ron im missing both mudguards altho there seems to be what looks like a later front muguard (its got small valences either side where it bolts on). rear mudguard stayes, all front mudguard stayes, seat, regulator, dyno-chain, headlight and brackets, exhaust system, tool box, battery tray and if theres a pos plate that bolts it on?? i need the correct carb cos it has a later 376/97 monoblok, side stand, and a pos rear wheel unless i can find some one cheap enough to re spoke mine??
thanks barry

ok dave thanks, i dont mind a bit of metal bending.
is the much difference between the early g3l than a later one?
barry

Matchless had a habit of doing hundreds of different items all with the same part number, so I don't think anyone really knows what was "original" fitment for example I have various oil tanks, all are slightly different, I have two rear brake pedals with the same part number, but the pedal where your foot goes is a lot longer on one than the other. Fork yokes are another fine example with at least two different types with the same part number

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

so it could be hard or expensive to get the right part you need. wouldant ajs have same parts? im sure ill find that out, i havant came across a parts book yet not to mention parts.
barry

Would this help? http://www.archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_lists/1941_=M=_G3L_Parts_list_contract_C12632-33.pdf

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I have a parts book for C11102, no problem sending you a copy. BTW your frame number is from the Lucas equipt part of the contract. The number on the barrell is the casting number, the 41G3l E701 is the part number for the crank cases.100266 is way too high for an engine number ( they stopped at 96088).
Cheers, Mick.

thanks dave

hi mick, il have a pair, where are you based? if your close enough il collect them, im london heathrow area,
if not would you do paypal
thanks barry

Hi Barry, I'm in Norfolk, 12 miles east of Norwich.
Paypal is fine, you can use this email address. I'll scan the parts book in the next few days for you.
Cheers, Mick.

ok mick thanks, il get my wife to sort out payment and send you my details.
dont worry about the parts book as i have a copy now but many thanks
barry

Nieuwe pagina 1