Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unidentified motorcycle & 195 RAF Squadron site

Anyone know know what model Aerial this is please, the photo is taken from a website I found very recently about my Uncles Lancaster Squadron. There are some lovely photos should anyone be interested.

Bit of blurrb..

'Dickie' Bird my Uncle is in the 'Gallery 195' page 6 "Toby and Crew", page 2 'Air and Ground crew' the Motorcycle is page 5
Ken and crew page 3 and page 2

Ken and Toby flew all their missions together side by side, brought exPOW's home, gave sight seeing trips over Berlin to the ground crews and took 3 Lancs to Australia at the end of the war on a jolly. During action Toby was shot down and landed at Brussels, just as the Americans had taken over, Ken flew out to pick him to pick him up and both aircraft got shot up by the Lufftwaffe in one of the last strafe runs, Ken told me they spent a week getting drunk and then headed back to the UK.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Re: Unidentified motorcycle & 195 RAF Squadron site

I can't see a photo Kit? But I expect it is an Ariel W/NG. Quite a few were supplied to the RAF. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks to Google I found the Ariel picture here: http://www.wcnhistory.org.uk/tags-gallery-sqn195.html

Photobucket

The Ariel is a civilian model. Not sure which one though...

While I was Googeling I also came across these two gems:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm sure that the last one will please our Norton community!

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I recon the Ariel is a 38-39 Red Hunter and the BSA is a 39 Silver Star.
Well done on the 16H outfit Jan. Never seen that one before! Ron

Photobucket

I knew you'd like that one Ron!

Cheers,
Jan

Hey Ron, I'd put the Ariel a little older, 36-38. It the NH or VH red hunter model, rather than the NG or VG deluxe which had valenced guards and usually two port head. I cannot see the out rigger springs on the forks which would make it 1939.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Sorry to but in on this thread but I reckon the BSA is a 32-36 Blue Star or maybe a 36 Q8 Empire Star. Can just make out the mag in front of the engine on top of the oil sump after 36 mag was behind engine and oil in separate tank.
Regards MIke

This guy must be very lucky with 3 smiling women on this magnificent motorcycle...............
Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@hotmail.com

Happens to me all the time Sven I have to virtually beat them away with a stick, since they know I have a Norton outfit. Ron

Mike, Yes definitely an oil in sump model, think 32/33 blue stars still had the rear brake drum on the right so 34-36 is more likely.

ron is that the stick you walk with

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nice Jan great find and thanks for adding the picture, the other ones are great too, interesting to see some 'nose art' on the helmets, ESP what looks like a skull and cross bones. Not a band combination Ron either....;)

email (option): Kit247@hotmail.com

Another mysterious Ariel:

Photobucket

Probably 1940 France. Could this be a "French contract" Ariel? Or is it a civilian one? Any ideas Mick?
Jan

The Norton outfit looks to be quite an early one, with centre-mounted Jaeger speedo. Interesting to see that it has had the horn replaced with an HF1441 - not the first time that I've seen one of those on a Norton.

Comparing the colour with the air-force uniforms (and bearing in mind the sheen), I think there's a good chance that this is a pre-war delivery in RAF blue.

Presumably the RCAF received their supplies through Air Ministry channnels or took over vehicles when they moved onto bases ? I imagine that remote bomber airfields were not a priority for camouflaging small vehicles ?

The BSA & Ariel Registrations

ATJ 194 is a Lancashire registration, issued April - May 1936.

The EHK sequence on the Ariel dates from November 1936 and was from Essex County Council.

Hey Jan, from what I can see in the pic that looks like a 1936 VH or VH. '37 models went to the big central knob toolbox( that shiny bit on the box is not a knob), '38 the same, '39 added the out rigger springs to forks and smaller hub as fitted to the W/NG.
W/NGS never had a tank panel fitted.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1