Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 Combination

Has anyone decided to go the combination route? I am partly thinking of this but they must be thin on the ground not having seen any on my travels or even in period photo's. Were they ever used with M20's or just Big 4's being the only choice?
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Re: M20 Combination

The army seem to have taken very few, if any conventional combinations but the RAF used both Norton 16Hs and BSA M20s with passenger bodies, ultimately with 18" wheels.

I believe that the situation is complicated with the M20 as only those specific contracts had full sidecar lugs.

As Rik says, mostly supplied to the RAF. Both Norton and BSA used the civilian 'Swallow Model 8' side-car. BSA used the Swallow chassis whilst Norton used their own made chassis. I have such a Norton outfit. Ron

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Was reading the article other day where it mentions the swallow sidecars used by the RAF. Its about the 4th paragraph from the bottom here:

http://www.wdbsa.nl/facts.htm

The body was the pre war Swallow Model 8. A Swallow chassis was also used, though BSA made a full range of thier own chassis and bodies both pre and post war.
I would imagine they just had too much work on to continue with that during the war.
Both the body and chassis are hard to find but do occasionally turn up. The post war all aluminium body made by the VP Company makes a passable substitute for the correct type..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

BSA sidecar

WDM20 Swallow sidecar

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Many thanks gents, how does the side car attach to the frame? I know on the G3 there is a point on the frame down tube for attachment.Certainly thought provoking, just need to keep an eye open for a possible donor if its possible.

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Hi Peter, The frame incorporated two attachment points, one was part of the steering head forged lug just above where the down tube fits into the head forging and one was in the rear frame forging that carries the back wheel. Other attachment points were through existing holes in the frame using modified frame studs/bolts.
Postwar rear frames after 47 had sidecar attachment points on both sides by the rear wheel spindle, not just on the nearside as on wartime and just postwar frames...
Only wartime sidecar contracts had the 'built in' attachment points and they are not particularly common. A 1946/47 civvy frame (or bike) would probably make the most readily available 'donor' if you don't mind making..er..adjustments.. to the numbers...Ian

Ian Wright

Only wartime sidecar contracts had the 'built in' attachment points and they are not particularly common.

Nonetheless, I've seen many more frames with sidecar lugs than I've seen sidecar outfits (in fact, I've only seen one live and in person), so I surmise that many of the sidecar-ready frames never had sidecars fitted.

Henk's second photo seems to be from the '40s but still has an "oil protection pad" under the engine and gearbox. Good to know that oil leaks were original equipment.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Hi John..That's a possibility. Also there would have been 'spare part' frame sections and many outfits would have had the sidecars removed in civilian life afer disposal...Ian

As far as I can calculate. Only about 660 WM20 combinations were delivered During the war. I'm sure all were fitted with side-cars. It's very rare to see one of these frames. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

This is what I have planned as a sidecar combination. To bad the frame number isn't very clear so I am not sure from what period it is. It does only have the frame lugs for sidecar use on the UK side of the bike.

Yes yes I know, it should have been on the road already by now, but it isn't.

Henk

BSA Swallow project

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

there were side car fitting kit that could be bolted to a bike fame that didnt have the lugs welded on

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

the long one with the ball socket on is the rear attachment which goes between the rear frame tubes, for the front down tube there is a clamp bracket, then for a cross brace there is a clamp which attaches to the sidecar frame and goes to a connecting point which is a bolt with a loop on the end, the central curved attachment goes from the sidecar frame to another bolt with a loop which goes through the frame mounting bolt hole near the saddle.
many non sidecar framed machines were fitted with sidecars with these attachments, the homeguard liked fitting boat shaped sidecars to lots of different machines early in the war. it's not a full set in the box but worth having.

there is also the AA outfit during the war which used a similiar box body to the royal mail machine.

Hi Jonb.With the rear mount,does the ball screw into the rear stud that is part of the rear wheel mount of the frame. Do you have any sidecar mounting parts for sale. Cheers Drew

email (option): bronte.nolan@bigpond.com

the one in the picture that henk put up, the ball attaches to an arm that is bolted to the sidecar frame, it sits in the cup that is screwed into the long plate to the left of the picture, that is then clamped to the rear frame tubes.
the rear frame with the hole already on it has a special bolt that fits into it.
i have a few pieces it depends on how you want to mount a sidecar, with a sidecar frame with its frame lugs or with the clamps and brackets for a machine without them, jon

Hi Henk & Jon. Collecting tradesman box in the am.

Nieuwe pagina 1