Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking for information of C number WM20 frame no wm2021499 eng no wm20 28309

hi all im looking to find if this bike was origonally sent to NORWAY at the out break of war or later as it was re imported into england on the 1 12 2005 from KRISTIANSAND IN NORWAY will be glad of any help thanks BILL

Re: looking for information of C number WM20 frame no wm2021499 eng no wm20 28309

WM20 21499 18-9-1940 War Office London

WM20 28309 24-10-1940 War Office London

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: looking for information of C number WM20 frame no wm2021499 eng no wm20 28309

Cheers - but how can I find out where the completed bike went from the War Office after it was built. When I got the bike it had been imported back into England from Norway and was painted light blue was it used by the one of the allied air forces. I am assuming it was sent or ended up there during the war and would be interested to know how it spent its working life during the war.

email (option): cargro_212@hotmail.co.uk (daughter's e-mail address)

That will probably remain a secret I am afraid.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

The bike is too late to have been abandoned there in 1940 so the two real possibilities are that it was supplied post-war to Norway or that it accompanied the British forces who were stationed there for a while during 1945 as part of Allied Land Forces, Norway.

Substantial numbers of vehicles were supplied to Norway, post-war. My impression from survivors is that these were often late-war production, direct from Ordnance stores. However, it is quite possible that re-built machines (with non-matching engines and frames) were included within this as they were, to all intents and purposes, new vehicles.

The other alternative of course is that some enterprising Norwegian dealer took a lorry to a BAOR disposal auction in Germany during the 1960s.

Unless there are further clues on the bike, as Henk says, we'll probably never know but on the balance of probabilities, I'd suspect that it saw home service with the British Army before going into the rebuild system later in the war and then being supplied to a friendly power for re-equipping, post-1945.

Nieuwe pagina 1