Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stainless head bolts

Is there any experience with the use of ss head bolts? According to a friend, well versed in mechanical engineering, they do stretch a lot more than normal steel bolts. But he is involved in the design of rather extreme high pressure stuff, and I think our bikes are not in that class...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Re: Stainless head bolts

I've had stainless steel nuts and bolts on my Commando engine for 30 years without any problems. No rusty bolts when you have to undo them. They were expensive, but the best thing I did.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Hans..I have stainless head bolts on the M20 and the B33 and have used them on many other bikes over the years...As Horror noted...no problems. However, M20 head bolts have a deeper than standard head form so you won't be able to buy them from a fastener outlet if you want to retain 'original' appearance.
You will have to make them or buy them from someone who does. If there is such a supplier in Holland I'd like the contact details please!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian, have a look at http://www.montagetechniek.nl/38x44-rvs-bk-p-20111.html, unfortunately no dimensions included, but you can contact Patrick at info@montagetechniek.nl
Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

I became much less enamored of stainless fasteners when an expensive stainless kickstart pin sheared right off the first time I tried to kickstart my Goldie. It just smeared off like it was made of cheddar cheese!

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

There is a whole range Stainless steels, from weaker than mild steel through to very high strength. Sounds like someone used the wrong one in that instance.

Jeff Bandola
I became much less enamored of stainless fasteners when an expensive stainless kickstart pin sheared right off the first time I tried to kickstart my Goldie. It just smeared off like it was made of cheddar cheese!

Jeff

Your right Iain..there are stainless steels suitable for most applications. No problem if you are making parts and do your homework to identify suitable grades.
The problem lies in the purchase of finished components where it is impossible to tell visually what grade was used.
I guess if it is a highly stressed component and the seller can't tell you what the material grade is the best thing is to walk away...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1