Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Wheel felt seal

I had the rear wheel apart last night, and find that there is no felt seal in the right side (under the cover plate with 4 screws is a stamped seal holder, but it is empty.
Is this correct? There is a felt seal on the other side, between the brake drum and hub.
Vincent

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Re: Rear Wheel felt seal

I made the same mistake, but that felt ring should be on the outside!
Bit difficult to see, but it has to be like that:
Rear hub, Rear hub

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nice double springs underneath those hub bolts Hans. Never noticed it before.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Hi Henri..That illustration is of the early type hub. The hub bolts had square shoulders with the Thackery washers fitted under them. Later hubs had tapered seats machined into the hub flange with matching tapered shoulders on the bolts..On these hubs no washers were fitted..The mod was carried out in an attempt to cure the problem of the bolts coming loose..it didn't work. I loctite the bolts on initial assembly and remove the whole wheel when neccessary for maintenance etc.
If not loctited the bolts should be checked frequently to avoid running with loose bolts, which rapidly wears the hub out ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

As I suspected. Thanks. My metal retainer wasn't pressed down all the way in it's recess, so it was sitting flush with the surface under the cover plate. Whomever had it apart previously obviously didn't know about this forum ( and likely it has been this way since the 1950's)..

So - anybody have a spare felt seal or two? Or is there a modern equivalent rubber lip seal I can retrofit?
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

Nieuwe pagina 1